Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2010, 05:45 PM
Top Prospect

Default Do I have a virus?

Hey guys, I think I may either have a virus, or maybe my PC got stuck in some sort of laggy loop-hole, but what happened is, I was making this map for a game with a map editor (Hammer Editor for Counter Strike: Source) and it had previously crashed.

When I restarted the program It asked me if I wanted to restore my work, and when I hit yes Windows 7 started to lag really bad. All four cores of my CPU were on 100%, and the mouse button was being spammed (like it was clicking over and over).

I then tried to end the process, but it was far too laggy to do so, so I held down the power switch on my PC.

THIS IS WHAT FREAKED ME OUT: When I was trying to minimize the map editor program, I saw for a few seconds in the background a windows that said "Hi There" and nothing else. Now, this could've either been a virus or it might of been that I accidentally clicked on something when I moved my mouse around, because as you know the mouse was being spammed).

Im doing a virus scan with Avast! right now.. but I dont know how I could've gotten a virus, honestly.

I dont download ANYTHING ever. (Only unless I 100% trust it)

What I want to know is, What is the best free virus scanner out there that can scan my computer for this virus I think I may have? I've used AVG and Avast! so far.
Old August 24, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, one sure thing. If the virus is a bit good Avast free wont find it. Eset free test is way more bad ass so is Kaspersky free scan. I don't know anything about the editing software you use but I would be carefull with it if it's a freeware that come from a guy in his cave. If it's a Valve or any other big name software then you are fine with it. Give us some news;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 24, 2010, 06:29 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Well, one sure thing. If the virus is a bit good Avast free wont find it. Eset free test is way more bad ass so is Kaspersky free scan. I don't know anything about the editing software you use but I would be carefull with it if it's a freeware that come from a guy in his cave. If it's a Valve or any other big name software then you are fine with it. Give us some news;)
Well its from Valve, its for counter strike: source. I was making a map...

Avast didnt find anything... so I dont know.

Is eset an active scanner?

What is the best free antivirus software out there?
Old August 24, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Avira is pretty good but the Microsoft Security essential is pretty nice also. Keep in mind that never a free anti virus will give you even half the protection that a real antivirus like Nod32 and kaspersky will give you. Eset is an active scanner but will disapear after the scan since this is only a tools. The complete version around 40$ a years is a full active scanner that run smooth and use like...nothing??really light to run.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 25, 2010, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect

Putting up a "Hi There" window is not a usual MO for today's malware. They usually either remain stealthed or if they want/need user input, use social engineering tricks such as fake pop-up AV warning. A "Hi There" window usually will alarm most users.

Unless you download stuff indiscriminately, odds of an infection nowadays mostly depends on the state of the OS/browser. If Windows 7, along with browser plug-ins such as Flash, Acrobat, Java, etc., are patched up-to-date, you use IE and have *not* disabled UAC, then odds of something getting installed in W7 without you knowing or it triggering some warning from Windows is small.

It may take up to a week for a vendor to add the signature of a new malware to it's definition files. Best chance of detection will be with one of the established top tier scanners such as McAfee, Norton and Kaspersky. However, if you throw enough AV scanners at your system, odds are one of them will find something -- there are lots of junk in temp and cache folders that are mostly harmless but may trigger a positive. OTOH with some malware that's hooked deeply into the OS, you may not detect them unless you scan from a boot disk (not something I think is necessary in your case).

As for freebie scanners, unless AntiVir added behaviour blocking to its free version recently, Avast and Panda Cloud are the ones I would go for:

DOWNLOAD FREE ANTIVIRUS - The first free cloud antivirus against viruses - CLOUD ANTIVIRUS

And if you use a restricted user account instead of an Administrator account for day-to-day computing, it would make any AV more robust.
Old August 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

do this scanner at safe mode...

Norman | Norman Malware Cleaner

it may take a few hour if your computer is old or slow...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old August 25, 2010, 01:00 PM
Top Prospect

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! The problem happened again, after I scanned with the trial of NOD32, took 50 minutes... found nothing. I dont download anything ever. I was able to stop the map compiler and everything was back to normal from then on.

NOD32, is an active scanner... Its on advanced mode, and I can watch its activity. It is really nice, I might get it when it runs out.