Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2010, 05:20 AM
Trial Member

Default CANT REBOOT LAPTOP

i have the cd's to reboot my laptop,,when the computer starts it says press any key to boot from cd, so i do this, it starts loading the window files,,,then my laptop just shuts down,,,will not complete the reboot process. now if i turn on my laptop without cd, it says missing NTLDR...i dont know what to do,,,,PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOME1 HELP ME....
Old August 21, 2010, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

are you booting from cd or usb ?
Old August 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
Banned
F@H

ok so you want to reinstall windows because yours is 'broken' ?

go here on another computer Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

get the iso file and write it on a cd, bootable of course. put it in and reboot

you will check foir memory errors, if none you will check for hard drive errors.

cd/dvd itself could be scratched but that wouldnt explain the shutdown

heat could be the problem as well
Old August 30, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

A couple things could be the problem

1 - Check your cd, if its scratched alot, it could be failing to install because of it.

2 - Was your DVD drive reliable? I 've seen dozens of hp / compaq laptops that have fubared dvd drives. Pressing and holding the drive inward while the drive is installing may help.... yes i mean the ENTIRE time the drive is running the cd, and if you shift even a bit it could fail.

On a side, how far into the installation did you get? I assume you've gotten to the format/install part because your ntldr is missing... A failure at this point could mean that you've got a stick of bad ram in the unit. remove one and try again, if it fails again, remove that one and put the other one in an try again. If that doesnt work, you could also have a really bad hard drive.

There are alot of things we can try to get it working again, but first we need to know how computer savvy you are. Your calling it "rebooting" your computer, so I assume your not to savvy... if this is the case, you best decide how much your willing to learn to make the unit functional again, if your answer is "not much" then you best take it to a local repair shop as what you've got is not likely going to be a quick or easy fix.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old August 30, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you have done any change like the HDD or the memory the issue can come from there. Sometime the ISO are locked on some hardware.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 30, 2010, 07:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
heat could be the problem as well
Heat would be my guess too. I can't see any other reason as to why your laptop would just shutdown. Check a few times over to see exactly when it's happening. If it's not consistent then check your heatsink. It doesn't take much to over heat a laptop's processor. Not long ago I had a P4 cook in a laptop at work and there wasn't much restricting airflow. It's now on my keychain.

Tags
reboot