Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2010, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
  • Some OCZ SSD may require you to clear the nand by following specific instructions for that OCZ SSD product on a fresh installation.
  • This applies to only the OCZ Sand Force SSD. You can safely uncheck the box for "Enable write caching on the device" this is for only single use in IDE and AHCI mode. If your OCZ Sand Force SSD is in a RAID volume than please leave the Windows cache setting at the default value. Enable the write back cache in the RAID application manger, not in Windows. Please make sure you do not enable, do not check the second box "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" it will slow down the OCZ Sand Force SSD based drives in about a week or less. RAID or single use. This is because the OCZ Sand Force based SSD do not have buffer cache. Any other SSD, HDD you use will benefit from both Windows cache setting enabled to improved SSD or HDD drive performance.
"That sounds like what may be happening to you.

Usually SSD installs are identical to HDD installs of operating systems. If you're unsure what the builder did, it may be wise to just read some basics on how to install an OS onto a SSD and do it yourself. Installation only takes 60 min or so, and to be honest, its the first step of learning PC's in any techs portfolio.
Okay. So these instructions need to be followed on a 'fresh installation'. That means a fresh installation of the firmware, not Windows 7, right?
Old August 21, 2010, 06:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mset View Post
Okay. So these instructions need to be followed on a 'fresh installation'. That means a fresh installation of the firmware, not Windows 7, right?
No. Fresh Windows installation. And before re-installing Windows, you should probably wipe your SSD as well so all the cells are truly empty. Following this guide: Guide How to use HDDErase

And when you enter "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" in a CMD window (Start > Run > CMD), you should be returned with "DisableDeleteNotify = 0" which means TRIM is enabled. If it's = 1, then TRIM is not enabled.

Also I'm not saying to run out and buy a new PSU right away, it could be fine for now. It's hard to say, and I hate to see people "waste" money. If you ever upgrade video cards though, then yes you'll need a new one.
Old August 21, 2010, 06:30 AM
MVP

why guess at power supply requirements?
calculate it accurately!
eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts
Old August 21, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Ouch. I agree with Perineum, I really wouldn't use a 380W with this system either and it definitely isn't the best case for cooling. I'd have gone 500W minimum, even though your GPU's don't need extra power, still 380W is cutting it REALLY close I'd say.
I noticed in my original post in here I never actually said the wattage

But with current PSU prices I never go below 500W, generally for his style build I have been using this PSU (it's been on a nice sale at ncix)

Seasonic M12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX PFC 80+ Bronze Modular Connectors 6PIN PCI-W 120MM Fan SKU: 52175
Old August 21, 2010, 06:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
And when you enter "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" in a CMD window (Start > Run > CMD), you should be returned with "DisableDeleteNotify = 0" which means TRIM is enabled. If it's = 1, then TRIM is not enabled.
TRIM is enabled, just confirmed it.
Old August 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
Trial Member

Default Hello mset

I may be able to help you out with your computer.
I work in Toronto and live in St. Catharine's, I am always in the Toronto area.

I could give you more information in an email if your interested.