Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
  • Some OCZ SSD may require you to clear the nand by following specific instructions for that OCZ SSD product on a fresh installation.
  • This applies to only the OCZ Sand Force SSD. You can safely uncheck the box for "Enable write caching on the device" this is for only single use in IDE and AHCI mode. If your OCZ Sand Force SSD is in a RAID volume than please leave the Windows cache setting at the default value. Enable the write back cache in the RAID application manger, not in Windows. Please make sure you do not enable, do not check the second box "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" it will slow down the OCZ Sand Force SSD based drives in about a week or less. RAID or single use. This is because the OCZ Sand Force based SSD do not have buffer cache. Any other SSD, HDD you use will benefit from both Windows cache setting enabled to improved SSD or HDD drive performance.
That sounds like what may be happening to you.

Usually SSD installs are identical to HDD installs of operating systems. If you're unsure what the builder did, it may be wise to just read some basics on how to install an OS onto a SSD and do it yourself. Installation only takes 60 min or so, and to be honest, its the first step of learning PC's in any techs portfolio.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 20, 2010, 06:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I am wondering if your SSD is stuttering/causing slow-downs. If trim is not enabled or working, it can cause issues.

The basic requirements for trim are:
1. Trim capable drive (you seem to have that)
2. AHCI enabled in bios
3. Using default MS drivers for your sata drives
4. Trim enabled by Windows. Try this: How can i know if TRIM command is working on windows 7 x64?

If all three are not met, your SSD may be full of crap slowing down the rig. The SSD experts on here may be able to offer a solution to fix it without having to do a full reinstall.

May not be the solution, but with the 'mini-freeze' behavior you describe it is worth the quick check.
Hi again guys. Memtest complete. For some reason it went through 100% and was at 334% when I got home. Zero errors.

All 4 bullet points have been checked and rechecked. chris, when you say 'full of crap', I assume you're talking about bloatware? If so, there's none on it - I got it clean. I've installed only known programs in the past couple of weeks.

I read a bit of The Unofficial guide that was mentioned above. The author even responded in my thread. Most of what's in there is above me.

Do I want to learn this stuff? Absolutely? Can I learn enough of it in time to fix this rig in the next little while? Not a chance. I am out of town and busy as hell while I'm here.

Old August 20, 2010, 06:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'm curious as to your power supply, case, and cooling as well. That could very well be the issue itself
Antec NSK 4482B There are a couple of extra fans in there. Builder told me that cooling would not even be close to an issue, but I guess he got the build wrong, so...

mobo Rev # to follow in a while

EDIT: Someone has just suggested to me that this PSU is insufficient and if this is the case, I am going to be sick, because when we were designing this build, the one thing I told the guy I know for sure is that amateurs try to build rigs with crappy PSUs and that I wanted to make sure we had more clean power than we needed! If it turns out to be the PSU I am going to be absolutely sick.

Last edited by mset; August 20, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old August 20, 2010, 06:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

By 'full of crap' I mean that the SSD may have its cells full of 'data'. If an SSD is not clearing its cells after data is deleted, then its performance suffers greatly after a short while, and starts exhibiting behaviour similar to yours. But if you have correctly checked what I mentioned then it may not be the case.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 20, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mset View Post
Antec NSK 4482B There are a couple of extra fans in there. Builder told me that cooling would not even be close to an issue, but I guess he got the build wrong, so...

mobo Rev # to follow in a while

EDIT: Someone has just suggested to me that this PSU is insufficient and if this is the case, I am going to be sick, because when we were designing this build, the one thing I told the guy I know for sure is that amateurs try to build rigs with crappy PSUs and that I wanted to make sure we had more clean power than we needed! If it turns out to be the PSU I am going to be absolutely sick.
That's not the ideal case really, as the Antec 300 is much better for airflow.

It looks like your case comes with a PSU, which should be the Antec 380W.

I'm not against Antec PSUs as the latest ones are pretty decent (you could do much worse) but *I* personally wouldn't build your system with a 380W PSU.

I personally don't build a full size tower with anything less than a good Seasonic / Corsair / Antec PSU these days.

The extra headroom for future upgrades is definitely worth the cost, in my opinion. It came in handy a few times already when people who had a 8800GT got GTX260 back for their RMA.
Old August 20, 2010, 07:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
By 'full of crap' I mean that the SSD may have its cells full of 'data'. If an SSD is not clearing its cells after data is deleted, then its performance suffers greatly after a short while, and starts exhibiting behaviour similar to yours. But if you have correctly checked what I mentioned then it may not be the case.
Ok chris, thanks. But something weird just happened.

I decided to click the link you provided (why not, right) and read that post on how to check that TRIM is enabled. I entered the required text in the 'Run' box and clicked enter. I saw a Command Prompt window flash at me for an instant and then it closed itself - it sort of fell away from the top down, like WIN 7 dialog boxes do when they're closed. It was way too fast for me to read what was in there but there was a small paragraph's worth of text in there.

Does that tell you anything in particular?
Old August 20, 2010, 07:54 PM
shaw

Try running the cmd line as Administrator.
Old August 20, 2010, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I thought I was admin by default.. I don't log in when this rig fires up. I'll try to figure out whether I'm admin.

UPDATE: Yes, I'm Admin.
Old August 20, 2010, 08:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mset View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
That's not the ideal case really, as the Antec 300 is much better for airflow.

It looks like your case comes with a PSU, which should be the Antec 380W.
Ouch. I agree with Perineum, I really wouldn't use a 380W with this system either and it definitely isn't the best case for cooling. I'd have gone 500W minimum, even though your GPU's don't need extra power, still 380W is cutting it REALLY close I'd say. Unless he/you installed more fans, that case has a single 120mm exhaust which really does not cut it. Granted this may not be related to your problem, but it may become an issue in the near future, especially if you upgrade.

Regarding the command to check TRIM status, you need to Run > type in "cmd" > then the command. Running the command directly will not allow you to see the output.
Old August 20, 2010, 08:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Ouch. I agree with Perineum, I really wouldn't use a 380W with this system either and it definitely isn't the best case for cooling. I'd have gone 500W minimum, even though your GPU's don't need extra power, still 380W is cutting it REALLY close I'd say. Unless he/you installed more fans, that case has a single 120mm exhaust which really does not cut it. Granted this may not be related to your problem, but it may become an issue in the near future, especially if you upgrade.
Head in my hands... soft sobbing.

Okay, I'll swap out the PSU on Monday for sure.

With regard to the query 'fsutil behavor query DisableDeleteNotify' to check TRIM, the result was that a normal looking command prompt window popped up. I assume this is equivalent to a 'zero' result.