Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2010, 09:57 PM
Top Prospect

Default Asus Maximus Gene III Quick Question

Hello HWC!

I recently got the Maximus Gene III and assembled a system. When I first booted up I thought the system failed since I did not hear any beeping sound indicating POST but was able to go into BIOS. I was wondering if this is normal that the mobo has no onboard bios speaker?

Thanks,
Core
Old August 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know my 790XT-UD4P and my buddy's Asus P6T don't, at least not that we've ever noticed. Maybe it's a growing trend not to offer them.
Old August 19, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm noticing more and more that manufacturers seem to be offering small speaker 'dongels' that you can plug in to the board. This allows you to choose whether you want MB sound or not. Personally, I find it reassuring to have the MB post beep code tell me everything is OK...
Old August 19, 2010, 11:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The majority of motherboards don't have onboard speakers, and that was never a common practice. The only thing that changed is that most case manufacturers also stopped putting speakers in their cases. Now they usually include a stand-alone speaker inside one of the accessory bags.
Old August 20, 2010, 06:45 AM
Top Prospect

I see so my case came with a stand alone speaker, I was wondering where to plug it? I read the manual for any hints on plugging the onboard speaker to no avail. Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks,
Core
Old August 20, 2010, 09:22 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The front-panel header on the motherboard where you attach the LEDs and switches is where the speaker connection is located. Since this is an ASUS motherboard, it should have come with a Q-connector that has the connection for the speaker marked on it.
Old August 20, 2010, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

look @ your manual page 2.41 for your MB uses a ext system hooked on front panel header, using a 4 wide pin connector
Attached Images

Old August 20, 2010, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

I see! Thanks very much guys!