Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2010, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Question Cant boot into windows 7 on SSD

I am having trouble booting into win7, it was working fine. all i did was install some watercooling, leak tested etc.. and now that i have tried to boot up since then i keep getting the error below.

"The windows boot configuration file does not contain a valid os entry"

i have tried easyBCD and it doesn't seem to help, also used the win7 disc and tried using the automatic repairs etc..

anyone know why this might have happened ?

it looks like i've lost the users folder with the usual desktop/documents folders and files in it, ones that i need.. what can i do now and how do i get them back? they do not appear on the drive.

thanks
Old August 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

put your 7 disk in the dvd-rom when you try to boot or go to this always worked for me no matter what i have done to the boot loader Fix a Broken or Missing Bootloader in Windows 7 -- The Official Christopher Heiser Home Page
Old August 15, 2010, 05:29 PM
Rookie

I got to bootrec /rebuildbdc and it did that, but.. it said there were 0 windows installations.

how do i get around that?

also i need the folders back that have gone, but i cant find them at all
Old August 15, 2010, 06:42 PM
Rookie

I used icare data recovery software to scan the ssd, it looks like it has found important files that i wanted at least.

Now if i have enough space spare on another HD i have to try and back it up on there, then i can format it if i cant fix it another way

i still cant understand how this happened in the first place, very irritating.. things like this seem to just happen when they want to.

Thanks for helping anyway, if there are any other suggestions then let me know.
Old August 15, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya it sucks and has happened to me in the past but i have always been able to fix or totally replaced it with that one. did you have any issues with the ssd at all??
Old August 16, 2010, 02:09 PM
Top Prospect

Maybe it's a good time to think about implementing a backup strategy. ;-)
Old August 16, 2010, 08:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
ya it sucks and has happened to me in the past but i have always been able to fix or totally replaced it with that one. did you have any issues with the ssd at all??
Not had issues with it until now, not sure it is even the SSD's fault or windows.

I have formatted and reinstalled windows now, not without 1 more problem though because the first time i tried to install on unallocated space it said there was not enough space to install windows on, when there was over 100gb free .. so i rebooted and it let me install it that time.
Old August 17, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so it's working ok??
Old August 17, 2010, 06:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
so it's working ok??
Actually, i just ran into another problem..

i was unplugging stuff / fiddling with my cooling etc.. and when i booted back up i got an error "reboot and select proper boot device"

so after changing boot settings for 30 mins and realising my other drive wasn't plugged in, i plugged it in and i set it to boot from my samsung drive first, then i selected win 7 in the boot list and it booted (from my SSD!).

it will not boot from my SSD unless i have the other drive powered on and selected first as a boot device, what the hell? something is still not right. it thinks it needs my other drive to have to boot from my SSD, so i guess i need to change something so it is not dependant on that drive?
Old August 17, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

did you format and install 7 with both plugged in if so 7 likes to lay claim to hdd/ssd easy way to fix start over with nothing but the ssd plugged in do your full install then plug in your other hdd. had this happen a few times makes no sense too me.