Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Default mobo dead?

hey so earlier this week i was trying to turn on my computer and it wouldnt turn on anymore. so first thing i did was reset the cmos since the cpu was oc'ed but wouldn't still work. so i opened the side of my case and checked. there are indicator lights which shows if there are problems with the computer.
so it says my gpu has a problem. so i'm like oh great i do have a spare one and swapped out knowing that the other gpu was perfectly fine, even folding just two months ago. now another light comes on indicating gpu's fine but ram's got issues. so i've swapped all the parts i've got around and my box is still non functional.

think i should get new mobo?
btw i currently have biostar tp43d2-a7
e5300

thanks guys
Old August 12, 2010, 09:28 PM
Banned
F@H

perhaps take it out, and leave it bios battery less overnight if it doesnt post after said taking out? leave the connector on short bios as well, dont forget to put it back before hooking it up again

if you swap every single component ok, i guess you can get it replaced or if no more warranty another one.
Old August 12, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never seen a motherboard fail unless it was due to bad caps.
Old August 14, 2010, 06:56 PM
Rookie

i took the battery out and turned the power supply off and drained the excess charge by pressing the power button. left it alone for a day and tried. no luck. fans spin and lights come up but still same problems.
if it is mobo issue, anyone have suggestion for cheap mobo?
Old August 14, 2010, 07:13 PM
Banned
F@H

g31/g41 from giga, as long as youre on ddr2 which you should be :)
Old August 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I installed a new asrock g31 in my girlfriends pc about 2 years ago and it hasn't had one single glitch. I paid around $70. You could also try the B/S/T section for a second hand board in case you plan on upgrading in the next year or so.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old August 15, 2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I've never seen a motherboard fail unless it was due to bad caps.
I had a Socket 939 Asus mobo that failed because of bad caps.

OP, you could take it to a computer shop that does repairs and confirm? Or if you have a good eye and a volt meter to test? It doesn't sound good, though.

Any chance of testing another PSU? Probably a long shot but maybe eliminate even slim possibilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
You could also try the B/S/T section for a second hand board in case you plan on upgrading in the next year or so.
Yep. That's what I'd do. Check that section and if there's nothing available, look for cheaper G41/G31 motherboards and price match. I was lucky and found a P45 board but I guess it depends how many people are upgrading at the time you're looking?