Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2010, 10:56 AM
Top Prospect

I understand you completely Sagath and I do appreciate your help. The only way to know for sure is that I troubleshoot everything. So the board, cpu, ram new psu etc. I can't assume anything, i need to know for sure. I hate to have to wait 3weeks for an RMA. I'd rather solve the issue now. So I'm not blaming anyone and it's not even crossfires fault that the board doesn't work. It's technology, these things happen.

All I want is for some tips on troubleshooting this board so that I can be 100% certain that I didnt overlook ANYTHING and end up rma'ing a working board. That would be 2-3 weeks of lost starcraft 2 play time.

So your input is valued and appreciated.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Your concerned about downtime of a stupid game? You really need to get your priorities straight.

Its simple to test and figure out if its the board.

1) Test board out of machine with stock cooler with nothing more than a cpu, ram, and speaker
2) Test CPU by iteself
3) Use another PSU
4) Test ram in another machine

If #1 don't work then proceed then you need to follow through with the following diagnosis
If #2 works in another board cpu = 100%
If #3 works you have to get a new psu
If #4 works = ram = 100%

So from those deductions I am sure you can figure out the diagnosis from there.
Old August 13, 2010, 04:06 PM
Banned
F@H

if you have the pacience take it to a shop that wont charge you to test? just listen to their 'upgrade' options paciently :)
Old August 13, 2010, 04:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Your concerned about downtime of a stupid game? You really need to get your priorities straight.
Ugh no that was just a joke, i guess you didn't catch it. I have exams next week and all my exam reviews are posted online. Yes I can go to a library and obviously will have to. But it would be SO MUCH more convenient to stay at home. Plus, you don't get the gravity of the situation. I was sold a dead board, why should I have to inconvenience myself? But I will go through EVERY troubleshooting technique possible before rma'ing the board as that's a last resort.

I just got finished trying these steps that were suggested earlier.

1. Try a different PSU: No dice, I used a friends 750w corsair PSU
2. Use Stock Cooler. I removed my h50 and tried out the stock HSF, no dice
3. Tried the pc outside of the case still no dice.

I even researched the issue further and people said that if you get an FF error right off the bat it's the board. Since if the cpu/ram or anything else was a problem there would be an error for that. But since I'm not getting any errors its the board. The FF error is also quite common with evga boards.
Old August 13, 2010, 04:52 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:

Its simple to test and figure out if its the board.

1) Test board out of machine with stock cooler with nothing more than a cpu, ram, and speaker
2) Test CPU by iteself
3) Use another PSU
4) Test ram in another machine

If #1 don't work then proceed then you need to follow through with the following diagnosis
If #2 works in another board cpu = 100%
If #3 works you have to get a new psu
If #4 works = ram = 100%

So from those deductions I am sure you can figure out the diagnosis from there.
1) Tested the board out of the machine with the stock cooler and only 1 stick of ram. Didn't work.
3) Used a different PSU, didn't work
Old August 13, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

FYI. You were sold a "untested board" not a dead board.

There is a big difference.

Unfortunately the board is dead and now either you'll have to take care of that or who you purchased it will.

Or perhaps you both need to setup up and take care of it together somehow.
Old August 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
FYI. You were sold a "untested board" not a dead board.

There is a big difference.

Unfortunately the board is dead and now either you'll have to take care of that or who you purchased it will.

Or perhaps you both need to setup up and take care of it together somehow.
Ya, he had no knowledge of it being dead, so it wasn't intentional. I've tried everything to get it working and an RMA is all that can be done now.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Make sure when you get your new Board set it up on a bench (on the box) with CPU / HD / RAM only for 1st Boot-up....connect Optical ....upgrade BIOS with latest....shut-down and build ;)

Old August 13, 2010, 11:21 PM
Rookie

I've gone through the same mobo and had the same thing happen to me. Only thing to do is to RMA the board. Troubleshooting for FF is pretty simple, take it out of the case, install the cooler loosely, one stick of ram. If it still happens then you're gonna need to RMA :\ For some reason this is really a common problem for the e758 models...

Just want to add, evga does offer cross shipping, you just have to basically buy a new board with them, then they'll credit you back after you shipped it to them. Should only take a week.

Last edited by Arinoth; August 14, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old August 13, 2010, 11:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooodo View Post
I've gone through the same mobo and had the same thing happen to me. Only thing to do is to RMA the board. Troubleshooting for FF is pretty simple, take it out of the case, install the cooler loosely, one stick of ram. If it still happens then you're gonna need to RMA :\ For some reason this is really a common problem for the e758 models...
Ya when I called the evga technical support as soon as I said the FF error code he replied as though he was familiar with the issue lol. But after talking on the phone for 20mins the guy it's a dead board. I get no beeps or anything and can't get past the FF error code.

I tried taking it out of the case and using a stock cooler with no luck.