Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13, 2010, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's possible that it doesn't like the OCZ. Check the EVGA forums to see if others have had the same problem. I'd also try it with a stock cooler instead of the H50, just in case your back plate is shorting something. There's a bunch of parts under the CPU socket on 1366 boards that aren't there on 775 boards.

Edit: Have you tried booting it outside of the case?
Old August 13, 2010, 10:29 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
It's possible that it doesn't like the OCZ. Check the EVGA forums to see if others have had the same problem. I'd also try it with a stock cooler instead of the H50, just in case your back plate is shorting something. There's a bunch of parts under the CPU socket on 1366 boards that aren't there on 775 boards.

Edit: Have you tried booting it outside of the case?
I'll research the ff error code on evga boards while using an ocz powersupply or if anyone fixed the issue by using a different psu. I'll also use the stock cooler instead of the h50.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintblade View Post
i know its no(t) the ram or cpu.

100% you know its not them? Did these come out of another system and your confident they are fine? If that is the case, try pulling all the ram and/or pull the GPU, and try booting it. See if it gives you a different bios error.

Troubleshooting these kinds of errors is one of the toughest tests you can do unfortunately, unless you have fully working parts from another rig to swap them with and confirm.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
100% you know its not them? Did these come out of another system and your confident they are fine? If that is the case, try pulling all the ram and/or pull the GPU, and try booting it. See if it gives you a different bios error.

Troubleshooting these kinds of errors is one of the toughest tests you can do unfortunately, unless you have fully working parts from another rig to swap them with and confirm.
I tried booting the machine with no ram, 1 stick of ram in slot 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and three sticks in slots 1,3,5. I also tried using a x800xl instead of the 4890 and tried using no video card at all.

Still get an FF error right off the bat.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Seeing as he bought the cpu from me and it was working in my rig it would be safe to say its not it
Old August 13, 2010, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Seeing as he bought the cpu from me and it was working in my rig it would be safe to say its not it
That's exactly why i cant believe it would be the cpu. Arinoth wouldn't send me a bad cpu and I didn't do anything to it.

I bought the ram from zsam, but the board gives me an instant FF even with no ram meaning it has to be the board.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
FF errors do occur before posting on EVGA boards, I've had them on that exact board. It had to go back for RMA. Usually they suggest reseating the bios chip. If that doesn't work, and a different PSU doesn't work then the board is toast and has to go back for RMA.
^^^ Exactly correct....! FF does mean Fully Functional...but when getting direct to (with no preliminary Post Codes) FF with no Post means RMA....well documented within the Evga Forums...thier was an issue with the 758 Boards and unfortunately they were common....

Old August 13, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
That's exactly why i cant believe it would be the cpu. Arinoth wouldn't send me a bad cpu and I didn't do anything to it.

I bought the ram from zsam, but the board gives me an instant FF even with no ram meaning it has to be the board.
I dont buy that. Why did you blame Crossfire immediately before confirming your troubleshooting, and not blame Arinoth.

Until a swap/replace is done and every option in troubleshooting is done to confirm its the Motherboard, it could just as easily not be Crossfires Motherboard fault, and be Arinoths CPU, then.

You're only doing half a job right now. Either take your chances and RMA the board since you 'think' it is the board, or do a 100% job in troubleshooting before laying blame.
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 13, 2010, 10:43 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I dont buy that. Why did you blame Crossfire immediately before confirming your troubleshooting, and not blame Arinoth.

Until a swap/replace is done and every option in troubleshooting is done to confirm its the Motherboard, it could just as easily not be Crossfires Motherboard fault, and be Arinoths CPU, then.

You're only doing half a job right now. Either take your chances and RMA the board since you 'think' it is the board, or do a 100% job in troubleshooting before laying blame.
The only reason I jumped it to being the board was because the cpu was tested while the board wasn't. If you have to assume either, you would go with the one that's tested and not. To be 100% sure I would have to buy a new board to test the cpu, or perhaps get a friend to test it. But on top of all that, this board is known for having an FF error code which means its defective. I didnt bother to research the board before I bought on FF error codes. Didnt even know what that was till now.

Im positive its a dead board, when I get home from work ill try a few more troubleshooting like trying it outside the case, ill try a new psu and ill try using the stock cooler. Ill see if i can try the cpu in a friends machine. After all that if its confirmed the board doesnt work I'll RMA it.

Cuz rmaing the board is all I can do since he wont do refunds. I even offered to let him try it before refunding me the cash in case for some odd reason it won't work for me. I'm not trying to blame anyone really. I just want this issue fixed so I can use my PC. I have starcraft 2 sitting on my desk waiting to be opened. So if you think im doing this for the lawlz youre wrong. I cant use my damn rig is why im doing this.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The only reason I jumped it to being the board was because the cpu was tested while the board wasn't. If you have to assume either, you would go with the one that's tested and not. To be 100% sure I would have to buy a new board to test the cpu, or perhaps get a friend to test it. But on top of all that, this board is known for having an FF error code which means its defective. I didnt bother to research the board before I bought on FF error codes. Didnt even know what that was till now.

Im positive its a dead board, when I get home from work ill try a few more troubleshooting like trying it outside the case, ill try a new psu and ill try using the stock cooler. Ill see if i can try the cpu in a friends machine. After all that if its confirmed the board doesnt work I'll RMA it.

Cuz rmaing the board is all I can do since he wont do refunds. I even offered to let him try it before refunding me the cash in case for some odd reason it won't work for me. I'm not trying to blame anyone really. I just want this issue fixed so I can use my PC. I have starcraft 2 sitting on my desk waiting to be opened. So if you think im doing this for the lawlz youre wrong. I cant use my damn rig is why im doing this.

Like I said, I'm impartial in this. And from what you've told me, you're probably right and it is the motherboard. Probably.

I'm just trying to make you understand why its important to be 100% confident in your diagnosis. Just being friendly and trying to save you (and others) grief if you diagnose/rma the wrong part, and then having it take twice or three times as long, and costing you even more due to shipping, etc.

I fix Biomedical Equipment for a living, before that, I fixed Optical Electronic equipment. Some of the equipment I work on has parts that costs thousands, tens of thousands or more. If I order the wrong part because I didnt do a 100% diagnosis, I could get in some serious doo-doo. Like military-serious doo-doo where I lose paycheques and have to march around to a drum and do jail time. This isnt as extreme, but the point remains as to why you need to verify your troubleshooting.

Hope that helps and makes me seem a bit more friendly to your cause.
Quote: