Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2010, 11:38 PM
Banned
F@H

yeah i asked him and he said the same.

try another psu before rma'ing. on your table.

so ff fully functional...hmm....was thinking fault f something.

and of course every cable (8pin) is properly plugged in with no way to jinx lose
Old August 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yeah i asked him and he said the same.

try another psu before rma'ing. on your table.

so ff fully functional...hmm....was thinking fault f something.

and of course every cable (8pin) is properly plugged in with no way to jinx lose
All power connectors have clips so if clipped on, hey can't be pulled out unless you apply pressure to the clip. So I made sure they are tightly in as I always do.

I could try another PSU, but I doubt that will work. I checked the rated wattage and given my specs it could be run on a 500w psu. I'm willing to try that. But it looks like it is dead and RMA'ing is the only way to go.
Old August 13, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, is it possible to try another PSU? Board might be finicky with the voltages supplied by the PSU. Had that happen once with a psu that just plain refused to work with a particular mobo.

Old August 13, 2010, 12:23 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
Actually, is it possible to try another PSU? Board might be finicky with the voltages supplied by the PSU. Had that happen once with a psu that just plain refused to work with a particular mobo.
before I RMA it out tomorrow I will try a new PSU. I see if I can borrow a 1000w pc&p from a friend.

Im also going to leave the cmos battery out overnight and i took out the bios chip and reseated in case that could have been an issue. So ill find out tomorrow if it works.

It's weird cuz FF does mean fully functional. Yet.. it's not lol. I'll try anything i left out tomorrow.
Old August 13, 2010, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

I notice in your post you say you have a h50? Is the backplate in ANY way touching the board in a way it shouldn't? Like metal touching the board anywhere?
Old August 13, 2010, 01:04 AM
Banned
F@H

not a matter of unstable voltages, if thats what youre thinking but perhaps some weird pickyness to it? i remember issues with some antecs..and dfi? was it in the long forgotten past.

do try something else than the pc p&c, liek whatever you have in your other pc, matedwith a lower end gpu of course.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I notice in your post you say you have a h50? Is the backplate in ANY way touching the board in a way it shouldn't? Like metal touching the board anywhere?
The only metal touching the board is from the 4 studs on the backplate that the screws are inserted into. Other than that, it's installed as directed by the guide. I installed it the same way I did with my q9550 and had no problems.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
not a matter of unstable voltages, if thats what youre thinking but perhaps some weird pickyness to it? i remember issues with some antecs..and dfi? was it in the long forgotten past.

do try something else than the pc p&c, liek whatever you have in your other pc, matedwith a lower end gpu of course.
I also tried using an x800xl instead of the 4890 to reduce power usage and it still didn't work. I even tried not hooking up any hard drives or my auzentech forte and still no dice.
Old August 13, 2010, 09:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

FF errors do occur before posting on EVGA boards, I've had them on that exact board. It had to go back for RMA. Usually they suggest reseating the bios chip. If that doesn't work, and a different PSU doesn't work then the board is toast and has to go back for RMA.
Old August 13, 2010, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
FF errors do occur before posting on EVGA boards, I've had them on that exact board. It had to go back for RMA. Usually they suggest reseating the bios chip. If that doesn't work, and a different PSU doesn't work then the board is toast and has to go back for RMA.
I already reseated the bios chip and tried resetting the cmos tons of time.

The psu u im using is an ocz600 with 4 12v rails. But its not a matter of not receiving enough juice because i tried booting it with an x800xl, no sound card and no hdds/optical drives.

So the board is either dead or has a grudge against OCZ power supplies. I'll see if I can borrow one from someone as I don't have any lying around to try =/