Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintblade View Post
That's all I want is for it to be fixed. However, ive always offered refunds on DOA items. You can't blame the buyer if it's DOA. I didn't mishandle the board. He shipped it outside of a static bag and i tossed on a wrist strap and laid it down on a anti static bag that I had. I'm very good with my stuff and this is the first dead computer component i've ever dealt with.

Anyways, let's get some suggestions on how to fix this. I don't want to have to do an RMA.
Its between you and the seller. If you didnt set down ground rules about DOA etc, you guys need to hash it out now, not us. From personal experience with getting a DOA item, I just RMA'd it and suffered through it.

You can just as well receive a DOA item from NCIX that you'll have to deal with, you know.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 12, 2010, 10:22 PM
Banned
F@H

dudes pretty straightforward, get it rma'ed. but man even if you take in account the 10 bucks or so in shipping what a deal.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, I did sell him this board. I received it from EVGA B-Stock. It does not come with a static bag. I literally opened the box, took a pic and closed it back up. I do not have a 1366 CPU to test it out so I would have no way of knowing if I shipped it out dead but since it came from EVGA I only assumed it would be fully working. As you yourself have stated, I have offered to help you with the RMA and that is all that I can do at this point. I have no way of knowing if I received it from EVGA dead, my own mishandling or if it was your own fault when putting it together.
There is not much I can do and I'd prefer to discuss this through pm's since there is not much other forum members can do other than offer possible solutions.

Maybe check if there's bent pins in the cpu socket?

Old August 12, 2010, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'll give a recall back to the 680i days.

If you had a 680i board and it showed up as "FF" guess what.. your ram was toast.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:39 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If it's halting on a POST error then the board did not POST successfully...
FF still means that it completed POST.

Flintblade, you didn't answer my question on what it shows before the FF. FF should be the very code that shows up. It it shows FF as soon as you hit power, then the board is most definitely effed.
Old August 12, 2010, 11:08 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
FF still means that it completed POST.

Flintblade, you didn't answer my question on what it shows before the FF. FF should be the very code that shows up. It it shows FF as soon as you hit power, then the board is most definitely effed.
The second I turn on the board it shows FF. nothing else, no other code nothing. That's why I'm saying, the board is 100% dead. I tried the video card in another pc, i know its no the ram or cpu. Ive gone through like 50 different troubleshooting techniques from people that have suffered from an FF error and watched the EVGA video. There's nothing else I can do.

So if it shows FF right off the bat then it's definitely dead. Which sucks cuz i dont have 3weeks to wait for a freakin RMA.
Old August 12, 2010, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

FF = full functional.

As lowfat said, if it jumps to FF immediately, there's something wrong with the board or its configuration. My 780i did that a couple of times because it wasn't getting enough power.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old August 12, 2010, 11:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
Yes, I did sell him this board. I received it from EVGA B-Stock. It does not come with a static bag. I literally opened the box, took a pic and closed it back up. I do not have a 1366 CPU to test it out so I would have no way of knowing if I shipped it out dead but since it came from EVGA I only assumed it would be fully working. As you yourself have stated, I have offered to help you with the RMA and that is all that I can do at this point. I have no way of knowing if I received it from EVGA dead, my own mishandling or if it was your own fault when putting it together.
There is not much I can do and I'd prefer to discuss this through pm's since there is not much other forum members can do other than offer possible solutions.

Maybe check if there's bent pins in the cpu socket?
Yep, as part of the EVGA FF error code video. The guy runs through the possibility of the cpu not being seated properly. I knew it was seated properly the first time because there's literally only one way to seat the cpu and I made sure it was full seated and leveled. So when I went to reseat the cpu I also checked the cpu for any scratches or any issues and at the same time checked the board for any bent pins.

There are no bent pins and the cpu had no issues at all.
Old August 12, 2010, 11:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
FF = full functional.

As lowfat said, if it jumps to FF immediately, there's something wrong with the board or its configuration. My 780i did that a couple of times because it wasn't getting enough power.
My full specs are listed in my signature. The powersupply I'm using is an OCZ 600w. That should be more than enough to power this system, correct?

It comes with an 8pin, 20pin and 4pin. I have all 3 connected to the board. The 20 + 4pin are in the 24pin slot and the 8pin is in the 8pin of course.
Old August 12, 2010, 11:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
oh,ok.

if you already did the bios thing, and the board doesnt show anything damage wise, then leave it overnight or try other rams?

if i were to chose between a used but tested board and a brand new in box id go for the tested unit.

let me check with cross.

True, but he didn't test the board before selling it to me.