Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2010, 05:36 PM
Banned
F@H

looks like youll have to make a decision board wise no matter what, given everything else is in order :)

super cheap, or some uncertain future legroom :)
Old August 8, 2010, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Problems like this suck, because if you get a new mobo, and it doesnt fix the problem you'll be kicking yourself for wasting money. See if a friend has a junker board lying around if the PSU swap doesnt fix it.

I just had a 2nd thought. High drops on a case usually cause the case to twist, flexing the mobo. Have you tried removing the mobo from the case and mounting it outside the case (cardboard, etc)? The case could be bent, causing the mobo to flex, which can cause all kinds of issues.
Old August 8, 2010, 08:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Problems like this suck, because if you get a new mobo, and it doesnt fix the problem you'll be kicking yourself for wasting money. See if a friend has a junker board lying around if the PSU swap doesnt fix it.

I just had a 2nd thought. High drops on a case usually cause the case to twist, flexing the mobo. Have you tried removing the mobo from the case and mounting it outside the case (cardboard, etc)? The case could be bent, causing the mobo to flex, which can cause all kinds of issues.
I tried a 2nd psu and it didn't help. The case is an antec p160 with a removable motherboard tray. I removed the tray from the case during the reassembly, but did not remove the board from the tray itself. Perhaps the tray was bent during the fall, I will try removing the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
looks like youll have to make a decision board wise no matter what, given everything else is in order :)

super cheap, or some uncertain future legroom :)
future legroom would be the best option I think...

do am2/am2+/am3 boards exist?
Old August 8, 2010, 09:08 PM
Banned
F@H

of course. am3 ddr2 are probably scarce, the last one i saw was the msi 85 or 90 buckers one. giga too but even scarcer.
Old August 8, 2010, 09:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
am3 ddr2 are probably scarce
Actually there are a lot of them. Many AM2+ mobos support AM3 & AM2 CPUs.
Old August 8, 2010, 09:39 PM
Banned
F@H

i know but am3+ddr2 are not exactly super common :)

also, am2+ is what one wants if he thinks he wants to run older and newer procs. am3 boards only take am3 cpus, and are not supposed to be backwards compatible if memory serves right(this time)
Old August 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

however, the box claims AM3 capable....would this mobo work with my existing athlon x2 64 am2 cpu?
Old August 10, 2010, 05:58 PM
Banned
F@H

yup. am2+ takes everything(bios conceeding hexas as well) in am something socket that has so far come out

of course you cant put a 1055t in a half phase buggered mobo lol.

if i were you id go for a 780/85. 770 is middle ground, not the best choice. either super cheap no oc no nada or a bit higher end. either or
Old August 10, 2010, 06:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
yup. am2+ takes everything(bios conceeding hexas as well) in am something socket that has so far come out

of course you cant put a 1055t in a half phase buggered mobo lol.

if i were you id go for a 780/85. 770 is middle ground, not the best choice. either super cheap no oc no nada or a bit higher end. either or
I can't seem to find any on newegg? the one's i can find are miniATX with onboard gpu (do not want that), or ddr3 (need ddr2....do not want to spend money on ram too)
Old August 15, 2010, 06:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

just thought I would post an update and let everyone know how things turned out.

I went ahead and bought a new motherboard (HWC member CORE hooked me up with a DFI UT 790FX-M2R for a really nice price...this board is really a gem and I've only had my hands on it for 1 day).

it turns out that the reason why the old motherboard was not working was because the motherboard tray was bent, so when i removed the motherboard from the tray it booted no problem at all! (I tried this AFTER buying the new motherboard).

Now I have to scrap my bros old case and put his rig in a vintage case I found in our closet, and I have the DFI board for future fun (I want to drop a phenom x4 or x6 in there and get my hands on some relatively cheap ATI gpu's to crossfire).

In my research I learned that AM2+ boards can take both AM2 and AM3 chips, however, AM3 boards cannot take AM2 or AM2+ cpu's (only AM3).