Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default How to connect several fans for my new build

Hi guys,

I just purchased a CM 690 II advanced case, Corsair TX650 PSU, Asus P7P55D-E motherboard... I also bought 3 Scythe 120MM Slip Stream Fans...

My motherboard specs seem to indicate it only supports 3 fans on the motherboard itself (which will cover the 3 fans that come with the cm 690)... Now how would I go about connecting additional fans (is it possible without a fan controller?)..

I noticed with the slipstreams it comes with a cable that I'm unfamiliar with how to use: It appears to be a Male-Female Molex cable with a 3 pin Male-Female fan cable attached to it. My understanding would be that 1) one end of the molex would attach to power supply. 2) The female 3 pin from the fan would attach to this weird molex cable 3 pin male connector.. But what is 3 pin female on the molex for? Also, I'm assuming the other molex end would be if I wanted to chain molex's together?

Sorry if this sounds like common sense but I'm somewhat new at this stuff.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:00 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The other molex is to chain multiple devices, yes. As for the female 3-pin connector, it only has one yellow wire going to it, right? If that's the case, then it's only for RPM monitoring. If you wanted to power the fan directly from the power supply, you could connect that cable to your motherboard which would allow you to still get RPM readings without needing to power the fan from the motherboard. It's really pretty useless, and if you'll be using up all the fan connectors on your motherboard then you can't really use it anyway.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks Zero.. So theoretically.. until I get a fan controller, I can use the supplied cable with the fans and chain them off each other using the power of one molex from the PSU?
Old July 31, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Merix View Post
Thanks Zero.. So theoretically.. until I get a fan controller, I can use the supplied cable with the fans and chain them off each other using the power of one molex from the PSU?
Precisely!

Fan controllers are nicer.. but have fun choosing the one you like!
Old July 31, 2010, 07:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Right on. You guys rock. Thanks for the help, I felt like an idiot trying to figure it out but you cleared it up!
Old July 31, 2010, 07:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Actually, one more dumb question...

I have the CM 690 II Advanced Case which has tool-less hard drives... Will a fan controller work in this case? (my understanding is fan controllers require to be screwed in?)

Last edited by Dot Merix; July 31, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: corrected wording.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot Merix View Post
Actually, one more dumb question...

I have the CM 690 II Advanced Case which has tool-less hard drives... Will a fan controller work in this case? (my understanding is fan controllers require to be screwed in?)

I have the exact same case with a Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller. I tried installing the fan controller without screws and it just didn't feel secure to me so I added a screw on each side. I don't see the big problem with using screws in a tool less case. It's not like your going to swapping out fan controlers every day. Pictures of my case can be sene here: Components Installed......690 II Advanced!
Old July 31, 2010, 07:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ahh cool, thanks Spike...

I didn't think that the case offered screw holes in those drive bays... I suppose it is tool-less OR has screw holes as well?

PS: Nice build :)

I just bought CM 690 II Advanced, I5 750, Hyper 212, Corsair TX650, 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws, Asus P7P55D-E motherboard, Evga GTX 460 Superclocked 1GB Graphics Card... It's being built and should arrive next week!
Old July 31, 2010, 07:51 PM
Banned
F@H

if you can find a sunbeam under 15 bucks(4 port) go for it but for the love of god yank out the blinding lights. not worth paying more unless you want a nice lcd or more fans to be hooked up. i usually piggy back 2-3 fans depending on total wattage.