Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2010, 07:23 AM
Top Prospect

Alchohol will clean the thermal paste off your GPU after you take off the heatsink nicely and it'll be long gone by the time your card is in the oven. I'd +1 for the oven idea.
Old August 1, 2010, 04:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This thread reminded me that I had planned to try this with a toasted GTX280 I had kicking around... it would post, but would display something very similar to your pics as soon as any form of 3D was attempted... I'd already stripped it down and replaced the TIM / re-adjusted the memory thermal pads with no change.

We'll have to see if it lasts, but I'm happy to report that my GTX280 has now been running furmark for 10 minutes!!!! Even if it's not a permanent fix, you can add me to the list of folks who've had "some" success with the bake method..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 1, 2010, 10:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Good to see you supporting this idea sswilson, not that I don't trust the rest of you just he has helped me before and he is a mod lol so I don't see him playing a practical joke on me like this.. *I hope* haha..

I still cant get the heatsink off because of the screws I can not reach, just wondering guys - what about the two 6 pin connectors? I don't have a soldering kit so I cant take them off and they are plastic..

Also is it normal to not be able to get into windows when you're GPU is like this or could that be a whole other problem? because everything I have read/watched on this problem has shown the user is able to get into windows they just have the weird graphics glitches... at the moment I am using Safe Mode with Networking.. and it works fine .. besides the graphic problems..
Old August 1, 2010, 10:23 PM
Banned
F@H

good question on the plastic connectors. see if in the vid theyre still on the card.

could be a few things,yes.
Old August 1, 2010, 10:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

All right, cool.. I am capped at the moment so it takes like 10 minutes to load that video. Could you have a look for me ?

Just a few questions here.. What is "TIN" and do I need to just place it on a tray of foil or make little balls of foil surrounding it (I think someone said to do that) I think in the video he just used a tray of foil..

Worst that could happen is the 6 Pin connectors melt and that is not too much of a problem considering the card is useless to me at the moment anyway..

I have to wait to Wednesday to get my game on..

Would have waited longer.. so I could install the OS on a SSD but I guess I will just install it on the HDD then move it to the SSD (Can it just be copied over?). Also if this does not work then I guess I could use the OS I have on this PC format drives and put it on the new one.. it is Windows7..
Old August 1, 2010, 10:39 PM
Top Prospect

When my card broke I couldn't even make it to the boot screen. And I'm not sure about the connector. I just took off everything that would come off with a screwdriver.
Old August 1, 2010, 10:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
Good to see you supporting this idea sswilson, not that I don't trust the rest of you just he has helped me before and he is a mod lol so I don't see him playing a practical joke on me like this.. *I hope* haha..

I still cant get the heatsink off because of the screws I can not reach, just wondering guys - what about the two 6 pin connectors? I don't have a soldering kit so I cant take them off and they are plastic.
I've also done this with a 9600GSO and it successfully revived the card.

You don't need to remove the PCI-E sockets. They will not be affected by the heat.
Old August 1, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
All right, cool.. I am capped at the moment so it takes like 10 minutes to load that video. Could you have a look for me ?

Just a few questions here.. What is "TIN" and do I need to just place it on a tray of foil or make little balls of foil surrounding it (I think someone said to do that) I think in the video he just used a tray of foil..

Worst that could happen is the 6 Pin connectors melt and that is not too much of a problem considering the card is useless to me at the moment anyway..

I have to wait to Wednesday to get my game on..

Would have waited longer.. so I could install the OS on a SSD but I guess I will just install it on the HDD then move it to the SSD (Can it just be copied over?). Also if this does not work then I guess I could use the OS I have on this PC format drives and put it on the new one.. it is Windows7..
TIM- Thermal insulating Material

Im thinking what this does by baking, is releases pressure from bent board, then by putting in oven reflows the solder fixing broken connection .. you Know like those xbox360 heating issues ..im guessing a after market cooler will help you GPU last long time if the oven trick works ..
design flaw?? who knows

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old August 1, 2010, 10:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Cool, well.. I am thinking of ways to get these screws out lol.. so when I do I will chuck it in the oven and hope for the best.

Thanks guys.

Ps. won't respond for a while - taking card out to try get screws out.
Old August 1, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

good luck :) post results