Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2010, 02:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Blizzard downloader slowing down network

hey guys,
got a a problem
it seems that my internet slwoed down substantialy when i started downloading sc2...
heres the catch, its for all the comps and this has never happen before wehn i downloaded a game of the net...
the file is only 6gb and its taken 3 hours....
anyone know why?
i tried reseting my router still noting, its realy confusing....
cause 6gb doesn't take 3 hours to download with high speed internet....

edit: its downloaded 3 gb after 3 hours thats 1gb/hour wtf????!!!!
Old July 31, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Pretty sure Blizzard uses torrent style downloads.

I know they do when it comes to WoW updates.
Old July 31, 2010, 03:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Pretty sure Blizzard uses torrent style downloads.

I know they do when it comes to WoW updates.

Sounds familiar.... tons of calls about COD2 (pretty sure that was the game) games dropping as soon as they were hosted locally... best explaination was that they used a P2P format for their game hosting client, and that the ISP was throttling after the proscribed period of time.....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 31, 2010, 03:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You're saturating your internet connection by downloading at a high speed, so internet traffic is being slowed down. That's perfectly normal. You can enable QoS (quality of service) on your router which might improve your internet performance, but I would say just live with it until the download is finished.
Old July 31, 2010, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

nope it was nothing like that,
it was peer to peer transfer apperently i was downloading off of a shitty computer :P
im almost done downloading it!!
Old July 31, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You're saturating your internet connection by downloading at a high speed, so internet traffic is being slowed down. That's perfectly normal. You can enable QoS (quality of service) on your router which might improve your internet performance, but I would say just live with it until the download is finished.
It's also possible you've saturated your upload stream and that would kill your connection as well....
Old July 31, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Everyone was mostly correct.

Blizz downloader is P2P (torrent style)

you'll be uploading as you download. Upload too much as one time and your download is shot.
Old July 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I believe everything you've said has already been said
Old July 31, 2010, 07:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wait a minute... let me get this straight.......

Is there a suggestion out there that the bliz downloader not only looks like P2P traffic, but in fact acts like P2P by making portions of it available for others to download from you while you're completing the download?

That's a whole different ball of wax.

edit: Well, it appears that the downloader does indeed act as a full P2P if any of these links from a google search are correct.....

Google

So then the question is if there is a way around this.... any of you WOW folks out there with more information?

Truth be told, if this is the only way to get a bliz games these days, I'll pass on DIII when it's released even though I've been waiting patiently for it for over 4 years........

edit#2: Ok, so there is an uncheck box to disable the P2P, but according to bliz it'll be a much slower download.... gee... if Nvidia & ATI can offer kickass bandwidth for their drivers, do we really think that bliz can't afford to serve up some bandwidth, especially considering how much money they're making off of monthly subs?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; July 31, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Wait a minute... let me get this straight.......

Is there a suggestion out there that the bliz downloader not only looks like P2P traffic, but in fact acts like P2P by making portions of it available for others to download from you while you're completing the download?

That's a whole different ball of wax.

edit: Well, it appears that the downloader does indeed act as a full P2P if any of these links from a google search are correct.....

Google

So then the question is if there is a way around this.... any of you WOW folks out there with more information?

Truth be told, if this is the only way to get a bliz games these days, I'll pass on DIII when it's released even though I've been waiting patiently for it for over 4 years........

edit#2: Ok, so there is an uncheck box to disable the P2P, but according to bliz it'll be a much slower download.... gee... if Nvidia & ATI can offer kickass bandwidth for their drivers, do we really think that bliz can't afford to serve up some bandwidth, especially considering how much money they're making off of monthly subs?
Yes this is very sneaky. Its something I discovered couple years back.

And yes as you have also figured.. you can disable it, but it'll be much slower.

Nice of Blizzard to be so sneaky huh