Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2010, 10:47 PM
Rookie

Default PSU buzzing sound in sync with HDD activity status?

Hey guys,

So I bought a Corsair 400CX seeing how popular, cheap in price and good quality as its from corsair, for my HTPC. When I finally got all the components hooked up and started my system, I start hearing this annoying buzzing sound. I didnt think it was anything, however it just continued when I was installing windows 7. The sound is in sync with my HDD and I dont know if its a issue I should be worried about.

Any thoughts?
Old July 23, 2010, 11:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The issue you described sounds like coil whine to me, in which case it's nothing to worry about. It can be annoying, but it's not dangerous or harmful at all.
Old July 23, 2010, 11:29 PM
Banned
F@H

load up a consumer, like furmark and see if it follows through. if it syncs just with the hdd? try another one.

or try it in another puter. depending on your definition of annoying, it may stay tehre or rma time......
Old July 24, 2010, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

I bought a new PSU, put it in my rig with an older maxtor drive that had the click of death, i knew the hdd was on its way out, but wanted to use it for random storage that wasnt important. After i installed everything, my case started making a really annoying vibration.. I forgot about the broken hdd and thought it was the psu because the HDD was shaking the whole case, it was very hard to pin point where the noise was coming from. Do you have another drive you can put in there to try out?
Old July 26, 2010, 01:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelah View Post
I bought a new PSU, put it in my rig with an older maxtor drive that had the click of death, i knew the hdd was on its way out, but wanted to use it for random storage that wasnt important. After i installed everything, my case started making a really annoying vibration.. I forgot about the broken hdd and thought it was the psu because the HDD was shaking the whole case, it was very hard to pin point where the noise was coming from. Do you have another drive you can put in there to try out?
Uhmmm, unfortunately not, but that does make sense as Ive had my HDD for quite sometime. Ill definitely check that out...thanks man!
Old July 27, 2010, 01:31 PM
Rookie

No go, so decided to called in for an RMA. Hopefully this one works well.

Thanks again guys.
Old July 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog88 View Post
No go, so decided to called in for an RMA. Hopefully this one works well.

Thanks again guys.
Awe that sucks, hope the next one works out for ya