Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   can't activate windows.... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/34294-cant-activate-windows.html)

LacrosseTown July 17, 2010 03:01 AM

can't activate windows....

I can't believe this,
i rma my proc and mobo, it take almost a month more than 30 days
so now i can't activate windows 7....
now windows wants me to pay 50 buck just so i can talk to them...??!!!:angry2:
thats such :censored:, it pisses me right off,
now im getting these pop ups that are saying my windows isn't genuine or that someone had taken my registration key and that i have to buy another one....:censored:
i don't understand... so i pay 250$ and now they want me to spend another 250? thats such:censored:
wow wish windows had a competitor because then they wouldn't be so stuck up about this 30 day or you don't get the full version of windows :censored: ...

clear some light on how i can contact them without having to pay 50$ or fix this annoying problem...
edit: if they feel that people can steal there software why not just register it automatically when it finished installing so people don't run into these problems... or have it that the computer must have a certain amount of time that it is running instead of counting the days :blarg:

another note....
i got my 1090t up to 4 today and running nice and cool after 4 hours of stress at 38 :)

frontier204 July 17, 2010 06:50 AM

Sounds about right except for the paying part...
I know with Vista when this happens you want to try the "activate over the telephone" option and call the number there. You type in your code, it fails, and you get connected with some call centre person. You tell the person that you just had your computer repaired (don't say anything "new" or they may misunderstand and think you got a whole new computer) and they'll give you some code to type in which will reactivate windows. That takes about 15-25 minutes of your time, but definitely not $50.
I phone up for activations on Windows XP and Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade edition and had no problems.

sswilson July 17, 2010 07:26 AM

Yeah, something isn't adding up right here.... where did you get your copy of windows 7? Is it a legitimate OEM copy with a COA sticker?

LacrosseTown July 17, 2010 08:00 AM

yeah i got it from best buy...

sswilson July 17, 2010 08:14 AM

Stand-alone or bundled with hardware (i.e. a manufacturer's OEM copy a-la emachines etc......)?

If it's a stand-alone, you should be able to use the "call in to activate" option (as has been already mentioned) to get a new # if this one isn't working.

Dr_BenD_over July 17, 2010 08:15 AM

Make sure your time and date are correct.

gingerbee July 17, 2010 08:42 AM

^^^IN bios.

LacrosseTown July 17, 2010 09:19 AM

yeah i just got off the phone with customer service they where good, what ticked me off was that it seemed i couldn't get help, anyways thanks for the info guys :)