Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2010, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Default help requested for video issue

Ok all you experts out there..... I am stuck with this one.

My desktop PC has started having video issues. The display would flicker black at times and gain a serious red and green tint. It used to take a few minutes after boot up but now it happens directly. It doesn't matter if I am in a game, running a browser or just idle at the desktop. The system has run stable before this for close to two years.

System specs are in my signature. My Windows was completely updated and I started this process with ATI 10.6 video driver.

To troubleshoot I picked up a HD5830 card and swapped it in but that didn't change the problem. I then formatted and went with a fresh install with no changes. I swapped my 4870X2 back in and tried some older drivers as well. Of course I started to think my monitor was dying so I connected my computer to my Sharp television which after a few minutes started to show the same problems. Now the real kicker to all of this is that if I connect my laptop (generic Dell garbage) to either my monitor or my television I still get the same flickering and color tinting. The display on the laptop itself is fine and my tv looks ok from my satellite but any computer I connect to the monitor causes it to instantly have issues.

Can a source signal damage a display? I am not an expert but this seems unlikely to me. I suppose my motherboard AND my monitor can have issues togehter but this also seems unlikely as well. Have any of you forum readers seen something like this before? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated
Old July 16, 2010, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm definitely no expert, but here's some ideas anyway ;)

What about the cable and connectors? I know a bad VGA cable can do things like this, although I don't know what a bad DVI does. From your description, I don't see anything about a cable swap.
Old July 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
I'm definitely no expert, but here's some ideas anyway ;)

What about the cable and connectors? I know a bad VGA cable can do things like this, although I don't know what a bad DVI does. From your description, I don't see anything about a cable swap.
hmmm good idea, but I did use a different cable to connect to the TV then the one I used for the monitor.

Thanks for the help though, all suggestions are appreciated
Old July 16, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

From the troubleshooting procedure you describe ,I'm kind of at a loss.

I had a monitor do this , it was the db9 connector on the monitor (bad solder).

----

Yes a 'source' signal line can cause hardware failure if say , one of the signal lines got shorted to say , +12v.

The only advice I can give , is to use the new video card , with all new adapters/cords , and another monitor ( if you can get one. ).

That 'should' eliminate everything downstream of the video card....if it still does it , it's down to motherboard or BIOS....