Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2010, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect

Default Mystery! What happened!?

Hello,

My computer has been running perfectly for about 2 years. A few days ago I put into sleep mode and came back in the morning and the computer was completely powered down. I tried the power button and nothing. I opened up the side panel and the motherboard (P5Q Deluxe) had fast blinking on-board power and reset switches. I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I tried everything I could think of to get it going with no success. I then figured out that the power supply must have failed somehow because I plugged it into a friend's computer and it wouldn't allow his computer to turn on. I then tried a different power supply and it would turn on then turn off rapidly. If I dismounted the video card (Radeon 4870X2) the computer would boot up ok. Then suddenly this new power supply made a gunshot sound and I hit the floor. When I came back the computer was powered off again and the power supply was dead also. I then tested all of my components in another computer, ram is dead, video card is dead, sound card is dead, cpu is dead. Upon trying the video card in that other computer, it powered down my computer and the mobo on that computer is now dead also (rapid blinking power light). My build was as follows:

Case: Antec 1200 (7 case fans all set to high speed for maximum cooling)
Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Q9650
GPU: Radeon 4870X2
PSU: (1st one that was in there was 850 watt modular silverstone, 2nd one I tried was 750 watt modular corsair). Both are completely fried.
RAM: 4GB Mushkin DDR2

There's really no fixing the computer at this point. It's gone to computer heaven (or hell ). I would just like to know what your thoughts are on what could possibly cause all of this to happen randomly one day after working fine for 2 years without any indication of a problem.

There was nothing inside the computer shorting on the case or antyhing like that. I would think that the 850 watt would surely be enough to power the computer. Beyond that I don't know other than some kind of demonic possession. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old July 12, 2010, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going with demonic possession, but from the sounds of it, if swapping the vid card to a different PC fried the motherboard on that PC as well, then I'd suspect some kind of short on the vid card itself.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
Banned
F@H

video card shorted out mobo which killed everything else? :)
look for warranties. anything is better than nothing
Old July 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh man that sucks, I had some thing similar happen when my motherboard quit it took out my Video card .
Old July 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the responses.

I guess that must be the most likely scenario...maybe the video card crapped out which killed the mobo and after the mobo got fried it took everything else out with it?

The video card supposedly has a lifetime warranty but I think everything else was out of warranty and probably isn't covered by a video card crapping out. What a freak occurrence. Does this stuff just happen randomly like this? What would cause the video card to die and take the PSU and everything with it? Totally frustrating
Old July 12, 2010, 02:53 PM
Banned
F@H

give it a try. you never know. if its out of warranty and they decide to help, get the persons name and agent number down just in case. happened to me a few times :)