Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2010, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

Default URGENT HELP WITH MY CPU!!!

Okay guys, I just found out in my BIOS that on full load my C3 Revision Phenom II x4 955 was running at 1.4v!!!

As you all know, that is the limit for the c3 phenom iis.

The thing that not puzzles me is this:

Core Temp was the program that I originally saw the 1.4v reading (VID) and when I checked in my BIOS it was over 1.4v... That explains the random reboot I had the other day.

I think core temp must be inaccurate because whenever I put my CPU on load it would constantly spike up to 1.4v, AND THIS IS AFTER I SET IT TO 1.35V IN MY BIOS TOO!

I've set it to the stock voltage of 1.350v and cpu-z is saying so too.

I have a few really important questions I need answered though.

1. Why is it that in core temp when I run prime95 it spikes up to 1.400v, but in cpu-z the voltage goes to 1.299v from 1.350v (drop)? (THIS IS ALL AFTER SETTING THE VOLTAGE BACK TO STOCK)

2. Is CPU-Z accurate or is Core-temp accurate?

3. How accurate is the BIOS?

4. What is the most accurate program out there for monitoring voltages?

5. The lower the voltage, the better it is correct?

6. Is it normal for the CPU voltage to move around the set voltage?

**IM NOT OVERCLOCKING AT ALL**
Old July 11, 2010, 07:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What you're probably seeing is some form of load line calibration being done by the motherboard to compensate for vdroop. If stock is 1.35V, seeing 1.4V under load shouldn't be a problem. (I'd just leave it at auto settings for now if you aren't overclocking).

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 11, 2010, 07:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
What you're probably seeing is some form of load line calibration being done by the motherboard to compensate for vdroop. If stock is 1.35V, seeing 1.4V under load shouldn't be a problem. (I'd just leave it at auto settings for now if you aren't overclocking).
Are you serious? Okay is it bad that Im running my CPU on a lower voltage than recommended?
I thought that the lower the voltage the better.

Can you also explain v drop and try to answer some of my other questions, I'm very anxious to figure out what to do next.
Old July 11, 2010, 07:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If it will run stable at a lower voltage then you'll get better temps under load, but if you've been having stability issues you want at least the stock voltages for your cpu.

In layman's terms for vdroop.... as you put a load on the cpu the voltage supplied will drop unless the motherboard compensates by giving it a bit more juice.

As far as voltages go.... you can only trust software readings as a baseline, bios will always trump software for readings, and yes it is normal for voltages to jump around a bit. Same goes for FSB settings (and hence any other frequency readings based off of FSB).

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 11, 2010, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If it will run stable at a lower voltage then you'll get better temps under load, but if you've been having stability issues you want at least the stock voltages for your cpu.

In layman's terms for vdroop.... as you put a load on the cpu the voltage supplied will drop unless the motherboard compensates by giving it a bit more juice.

As far as voltages go.... you can only trust software readings as a baseline, bios will always trump software for readings, and yes it is normal for voltages to jump around a bit. Same goes for FSB settings (and hence any other frequency readings based off of FSB).
Haha omg thanks for all of the help sswilson, I appreciate it. If I run prime 95 overnight for example with my cpu undervolted is that enough to say that its stable?

Also I see the core voltage on cpu-z go VERY close to 1.400v (1.380v to be exact) when the CPU hasn't underclocked itself (Which is does) and there is no load. should I be worried?

BTW is it easier on my mosfets to undervolt? (Theres not heatsinks on)

Last question, Do you think that if my CPU did ever hit the 1.4v mark that it isnt that bad because I have a huge aftermarket Heatsink and fan?

My temps are:
30-32C IDLE
40-48C LOAD
all with an Ambient Temperature of 25C
Old July 11, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as it's not over 1.5Vcore and your temperatures are below like 70C, you're fine.
Old July 11, 2010, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

No, the maximum for my C3 revision phenom ii x4 is 1.4 volts.
If you exceed that I will likely fry my CPU. Dont give people advice like that, do some research on my CPU and come back to me.

So vdrop is really a new thing to me, but hell undervolting sounds fun, so Im doing it. I like keeping things as cool as possible! I set the voltage to 1.35, and idle im getting about 1.320v with cpu-z which is very accurate. I'm gonna go play lots of games then I'm gonna go and run prime95 for a few hours tomorrow morning and make sure that my undervolting is stable.
Old July 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No, .85-1.4V is just the VID for those C3 chips, if you install AMD OD it should tell you the max safe volts. Should be 1.55V. Don't know what is VID? Time to google it, do proper research before you flame.

I don't remember AMD chips have Vdroop either.
Old July 11, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

5ILVgeARX got it spot on. However if you want to be rude, then that's all the help you'll be getting from me.

From my experience, Vdroop comes from the motherboard, not CPU. My M2N-E would vdroop like crazy, unless CPU-Z is reading the Vcore wrong.
Old July 11, 2010, 09:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
No, .85-1.4V is just the VID for those C3 chips, if you install AMD OD it should tell you the max safe volts. Should be 1.55V. Don't know what is VID? Time to google it, do proper research before you flame.

I don't remember AMD chips have Vdroop either.
So should I keep my voltage to 1.35 in the BIOS with vdroop or should I bump it back to auto (1.40v)

I just get better temps and the same performance right?

And I owe geokilla an apology, sorry man haha. You're right. I just know that I read everywhere that the Phenom IIs could only take 1.4v, I didn't know what VID was when I said that.

VID is the highest voltage the MOBO is allowed to supply to the cpu, and it is higher than the recommended voltages because of vdroop. Im sorry you guys rofl, I should've researched it first.