Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2010, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
So should I keep my voltage to 1.35 in the BIOS with vdroop or should I bump it back to auto (1.40v)

I just get better temps and the same performance right?

And I owe geokilla an apology, sorry man haha. You're right. I just know that I read everywhere that the Phenom IIs could only take 1.4v, I didn't know what VID was when I said that.

VID is the highest voltage the MOBO is allowed to supply to the cpu, and it is higher than the recommended voltages because of vdroop. Im sorry you guys rofl, I should've researched it first.
Apology accepted :)

Yea you get better temperatures while maintaining the same performance when underclocking. Or you can always keep your voltages at stock and overclock your CPU.

I recommend stress testing using OCCT instead of Prime 95. I just like it more as it finds errors quicker and I just feel that it stresses the CPU more than Prime 95.
Old July 11, 2010, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Apology accepted :)

Yea you get better temperatures while maintaining the same performance when underclocking. Or you can always keep your voltages at stock and overclock your CPU.

I recommend stress testing using OCCT instead of Prime 95. I just like it more as it finds errors quicker and I just feel that it stresses the CPU more than Prime 95.
Awesome Thanks for the advice and accepting my apology :)
Old July 12, 2010, 06:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
As long as it's not over 1.5Vcore and your temperatures are below like 70C, you're fine.
Max temps for the 955 c3 is 62c.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...&f10=&f11=&f12=

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...&f10=&f11=&f12=

Nine, you have one of these 2 processors, there is a slight difference in voltage range between the 2.
Old July 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
Its the 955 that I've got and I knew that the max temp was 62 degrees prior to ever even buying my CPU, that is the exact range as mine.

I have mine undervolted by about 0.050v, Im going to try prime95 or that other thing geokilla suggested.
Old July 12, 2010, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
No, .85-1.4V is just the VID for those C3 chips, if you install AMD OD it should tell you the max safe volts. Should be 1.55V. Don't know what is VID? Time to google it, do proper research before you flame.

I don't remember AMD chips have Vdroop either.
bingo and @nine don't make statements when you don't know. take your time read and learn. good luck auto likes to over-volt. fyi
Old July 12, 2010, 08:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you're not overclocking at all, you should be able to run it undervolted. As far as stress testing goes.... 2 hours prime is a good start, but personally I don't consider anything under 8 hours to be fully stable.

I've found longer stress testing times on the PH II chips especially important as I've had a 1090t, 720be, 955be, and all of them failed at over 6 hours prime until I had the OC dialed in properly. With the C2D line of procs, I usually found a 2 hr prime test would be 95% fully stable with only a slight bump to vcore and/or NB and/or slight drop in FSB to get it to 100%, while the PH II line has proven to be require a bit more work to get it completely dialed in (I blame it mostly on memory).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 12, 2010, 08:35 AM
Top Prospect

Okay guys, I installed OCCT and it froze my pc when I was trying to change the monitoring settings.

They were so off. The CPU was on 100% load on all 4 cores, and occt said that each core was only and 40%.
OCCT also said that my vcore voltage is 3.73v!!! This is obviously really off. I dont think that there is even any cpu out there that can support more than 3 volts.
Old July 12, 2010, 03:38 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If you're not overclocking at all, you should be able to run it undervolted. As far as stress testing goes.... 2 hours prime is a good start, but personally I don't consider anything under 8 hours to be fully stable.

I've found longer stress testing times on the PH II chips especially important as I've had a 1090t, 720be, 955be, and all of them failed at over 6 hours prime until I had the OC dialed in properly. With the C2D line of procs, I usually found a 2 hr prime test would be 95% fully stable with only a slight bump to vcore and/or NB and/or slight drop in FSB to get it to 100%, while the PH II line has proven to be require a bit more work to get it completely dialed in (I blame it mostly on memory).
What should I set prime95 to? do I do a blend test or what?
Old July 12, 2010, 11:18 PM
Top Prospect

JUST PASSED 7HR TORTURE TEST!

Never got hotter than 45C!!!

I'm proud of my rig. I would run prime95 for 24hrs, but it just seems a little unnecessary to waste that much energy. One person suggested at least 6hrs, so I did 7 (mainly because I fell asleep though hahaha)

Its so hot in this room compared to the bedroom though oh man!

Anyways thanks for absolutely all of the help that everyone has give to me.
I will be back if I need anymore help because you guys are fast!

Thanks again, and excuse my typing, its 2:00am.
-Ninelives