Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2010, 04:43 PM
Top Prospect

Default Random Reboot?

I was rendering a video with adobe premiere pro... and the computer just decided to reboot for no reason.

What could it be? I have a 750watt PSU, so thats definately not the problem, as My components aren't that power hungry (Phenom II x4, and 5770)

I did prime95 just a few days ago for a good 15 mins, and I did furmark for about 6 minutes today too.

What can I use that is free to test my RAM?
Old July 9, 2010, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Memtest will test your ram, but prime has to be run a minimum of 2+ hours for any kind of stability testing (I generally do 16h+ ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 9, 2010, 05:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Memtest will test your ram, but prime has to be run a minimum of 2+ hours for any kind of stability testing (I generally do 16h+ ).

Do I really have to stresstest a cpu that Im not overclocking with an aftermarket HSF that has 5 heatpipes?

I guess Ill have to try that.

Also MSI afterburner was doing some really weird things to my GPU. I wanted to ramp up the fanspeeds depending on the temps and whenever I turned the computer myself, the next time I turn it on the 5770 fans are on max!!! I swear It might have something to do with msi after burner. I've been running lots of games and garbage for the past few days and it was all okay until I decided to get msi afterburner today.

I can now export things okay, it hasn't rebooted since I deleted that program.
But Only time will tell whether it was afterburner or not...
Old July 9, 2010, 08:55 PM
MVP
F@H

Hydro power problem? Where do you live? We've had a long hot spell in Ontario and power shut down twice, one was more a brownout, the other was a shutdown for a couple of minutes (Probably from heavy use of air conditioners, etc.) Mine was on a UPS, so I didn't notice anything.

If you have Windows 7, check the Event Viewer (Log) to see if it shows any clues.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
Hydro power problem? Where do you live? We've had a long hot spell in Ontario and power shut down twice, one was more a brownout, the other was a shutdown for a couple of minutes (Probably from heavy use of air conditioners, etc.) Mine was on a UPS, so I didn't notice anything.

If you have Windows 7, check the Event Viewer (Log) to see if it shows any clues.
I also live in Toronto Ontario, but Its odd that it did that and nothing else turned off. Also I can render things okay and everything after that one reboot.

I also discovered that my reset button on my case doesn't shut the system down properly, it reboots without saving anything, almost like it cuts the power from the mobo to reset it. Its not a reset switch its more like a kill switch ahaa.

Theres no way in hell i touched it by accident because Its on top of my desk and on the haf 922 the buttons are on the very top of the case. My hands were on the keyboard and mouse. Hopefully it was just a one time thing... because I didn't see any signs of it since. I'll have to prime 95 my system for a few hours when I get back home.

Again though couldn't of been a power outage, I was unaffected by any of the brown and black outs that were on the news. Could it possibly be too much load for my power strip? it can only take 1110 watts... I have these connected to it:

Computer (Max would be 750W)
PS3 Slim (Max 150W)
LCD TV (Max 50 W)
CRT monitor (Max 100w)

but mind you I dont use the ps3 at the same time... but it does work.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:12 AM
Top Prospect

edit, if it was power strip the monitors would of turned off with it.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post

If I had already shut down the computer several times will the event log get cleared or does it stay even if you turn the computer on and off several times?
Old July 10, 2010, 10:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Has it been rebooting its self more? or was it just the one time?
Old July 10, 2010, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpd1983 View Post
Has it been rebooting its self more? or was it just the one time?
Well, Im not home right now, but on monday I will use it a lot so we will see.

I used it to render I think 8 videos give or take that were like 3 minutes each average... just before I left.

I also tried rebooting at least twice manually to see if It would happen again.

Its only happened once so far. At this point I guess I'll just have to use it a lot and see whether it does it again or not.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:44 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
If I had already shut down the computer several times will the event log get cleared or does it stay even if you turn the computer on and off several times?
Windows Event Viewer is just an interface for all the logs that Windows keeps track. The one's you'd be interested in are: System Events (warnings, errors, information) Application Crashes, etc.

Since it can access the logs, it covers a lot of ground and you have to root out the ones that might be significant. Looks like this:

Using Event Viewer to Troubleshoot - Free Troubleshooting Help Tips Online

Windows will over write the log files, but not usually the recent ones.