Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default What does it mean when there's distortion & auto shutdown?

I'm helping a friend with computer issues. Does anybody know what the problem is, if the color is distorted and the computer does a shutdown itself?

I'm thinking the shutdown could be due to RAM. Color distortion could be due to videocard, or psu.

Or, it could all be related to the videocard only. Nothing is OC'd, ventilation & temps are good.

Gonna try getting the latest drivers for the videocard. I don't think it's the drivers though, because she didn't install a new OS lately, and was using this setup for a year now without any issues.

ATI Sapphire HD4890. PSU is an OCZ SXS 500W, and RAM is OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR2-1066.

Any ideas on the problem is? Thanks.
Old July 8, 2010, 01:39 PM
Banned
F@H

give us the rest of the system.

hows temps and juice? everest is your frend.
Old July 8, 2010, 01:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8erppl View Post
I'm helping a friend with computer issues. Does anybody know what the problem is, if the color is distorted and the computer does a shutdown itself?
I'd double check the video card cooling, I had similar symptoms in the past with a card where the heatsink and vents were covered with dust and debris.
Old July 8, 2010, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

^^^ Thanks DCCV44.2223. I did clean it, but same problem, so maybe i'll switch-out the entire hsf.

dangtx: i don't remember exactly, but i think it was some ASUS board, athlon x2, seagate barracuda 1TB 32MB Cache, some LG DVD burner, some cooler master case. I don't think it's a problem with the other stuff, like HDD, and the CPU cooling is idling at 30C and < 40C at load.