Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2010, 06:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default LCD unable to display smooth colour gradients

(My apologies, realized when I went to update my original post I'd put it in the wrong forum)

Sister's Samsung 206BW is failing -- or at least seems to be.

Any bright point on the display displays not a flicker, but almost static. It's difficult to describe -- in a static image, such as the blue of the task bar in Windows, the problem is visible as a repeating, slightly off-colour pattern.

When running off the analog connection, all the bright pixels move (or change colour to give the appearance of moving) constantly. Off a DVI cable, the flicker is much more restrained and the static is for the most part, erm, static.

As it appears with a DVI connection.

Tried two analog cables and a digital one, two different computers using three different video cards and even set it up as a clone of my primary display -- so the problem is definitely in the monitor somewhere. However, the damn thing's self-test appears perfectly -- the "Check Signal Cable" box displays with no static, no flicker, and all three colour boxes clear, even as it moves across the screen.

The "Check Signal Cable" box appears clean to the human eye, despite the photo below.

I'm thinking there might be an issue in the electronics which receive the signal -- any ideas on a repair? It's not life-and-death, but if I can rescue it, why not? After my successful baking of my graphics card, I'm feeling adventurous.
Old July 4, 2010, 06:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Failed the Moire tests in Eizo-test, by virtue of it displaying the same inability to hold a constant colour/illumination level on individual pixels. Yet it can display a clear white, clear black, and in some cases sharp colour patterns:

versus

In Eizo's RGB test the colours would go solid at about half-saturation and the colour flickering would disappear. Yet the monitor cannot display colour gradients -- monochromatic or full-spectrum -- and hold the colour brightness stable.

Old July 4, 2010, 10:04 PM
Banned
F@H

its got 3 years warranty from samsung if im not mistaken :)