Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2007, 08:50 AM
Top Prospect

Default New Rig won't POST...

EDIT- I hate posting this, I hate asking for help, it really bothers me because it means that I have failed. I like to figure things out but I really need some input and opinions or I wouldn't have posted. I ain't one of those guys who makes a post every time something simple goes wrong. I haven't been able to find anything on the net to help me either...I value everyones time as valuable as I value my own so I am careful not to waste any of mine and hopefully yours.

Antec 900
Corsair 520 HX
MSI K9a Platinum
Athlon 64 x2 4000+ Brisbane
Crucial Ballistix ddr2 800/6400
Radeon 3870 (whenever it gets shipped to me and in stock :( )
..but for now a 7300GT, it was the cheapest thing I could find at the store.

Hrm this is really frustrating to say the least. I had to wait 23 days for my Mobo to arrive and it finally did, hooked everything up and nothing happened. Well all the fans turned on, the HDD was whirring and the CD was trying to cycle repeatedly.

At first I thought it was my video card so I went out a bought a new one, same thing. The monitor is saying that there is no signal...

The Video card I tried was a Radeon 7000 PCI card.

I thought that maybe the board will only recognize PCIe cards to receieve video, doesn't make much sense but I am desperate to make this work. No go anyways.

Now I am thinking I may have a grounding issue or dead Mobo slots...is that possible?

I quadruple checked my hardware and made sure all of it was seated properly and my RAM was in the proper configuration then I removed all but one stick.

I think I am going to pull everything out and lay it on a table then hook it up and see what happens. If it works then I know I have grounding issues...If it doesn't then I guess I need to find out where they sell a pc chassis speaker as the Antec 900 doesn't come with one...Why? I'm sure I don't know.

I can rig one up pretty easily I guess with some solder and some wire with that little black attachment bit. Where do I find one of those? They must sell just the speaker somewhere...maybe Radio Shack or Circuit City or whatever it is they like to be called these days...

The lack of PC speaker is really bothering me. I never realized how important it is until now to tell you the truth. Instead of guessing what the problem I would have more information to digest...

I don't get it. OK, the case fans are linked to the PSU directly but the CPU fan is working....why in the hell do the slots not have any power? Is it a BIOS problem? Even if it was it should still have a display I would think...No signal at all is gong to the monitor....I tried VGA and DVI...with the same result on both cards.

I have the 4 pin CPU power connector, the molex and the 12 pin Atx...something is definitely wrong and I must find out what it is...

Any new ideas will be helpful, encouraged and praised. Any flames will be reported and all nonsense will be ignored...post away.

Qwerty.

Last edited by qwerty; November 24, 2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old November 24, 2007, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default RAM

Could be your RAM voltages.

I think the crucial Ballistix will only well work once youve set the voltage over 1.8 (standard DDR2). Sometimes people have to use another set of DDR2 to set the voltages.

Thats What I read from the comments a couple of people who had bought the Ballistix anyway (see NCIX forum somewhere). Just a shot in the dark.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; November 24, 2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: error
Old November 24, 2007, 09:35 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

That pretty much leaves you with either a bad cpu or motherboard. Having stuff DOA (dead on arrival) in not at all uncommon.
Old November 24, 2007, 09:40 AM
Top Prospect

that happened to me 2 times. it was both times the XFX 650i Ultra mobo. its just sitting there collecting dust, and taking a few punches or two once in a while :D
OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
XFX / EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLI
Cooler Master Cosmos
PC POWER & COOLING 750watt
Seagate 1TB
Seagate 500gb
Seagate 250gb
DVD Rom/Burner

LG 22" Wide
G5/G15/Z-5500 Logitech
Old November 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
Top Prospect

I doubt that it is the CPU as it is brand new, bought from a store.

The motherboard I bought off of Ebay so I think that is the problem right there. I tried to save a couple bucks but am now paying for it. Something should have tipped me when I bought a $130 board for $35.00... The actual product box looked pretty beat up upon arrrival...prior to it being shipped as it was shipped within another box.

I am trying to RMA but I doubt they will do it but I am going to try some social engineering and see if I can get them to do it for me...I can talk a good game so I will use that to my advantage.

Yeah I am now 90% certain that the Mobo is dead. My g/f asks me why I cheaped out on the mobo when I bought everything else brand new...I didn't have a ready answer...pretty foolish of me really.

Never again will I buy an item off of Ebay or any retailer from the USA...so it is written so it shall be done.

Qwerty.

Last edited by qwerty; November 24, 2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old November 24, 2007, 10:11 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Verify your Ram voltage. Might not be high enough.
Old November 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
I doubt that it is the CPU as it is brand new, bought from a store.

The motherboard I bought off of Ebay so I think that is the problem right there. I tried to save a couple bucks but am now paying for it. Something should have tipped me when I bought a $130 board for $35.00... The actual product box looked pretty beat up upon arrrival...prior to it being shipped as it was shipped within another box.

I am trying to RMA but I doubt they will do it but I am going to try some social engineering and see if I can get them to do it for me...I can talk a good game so I will use that to my advantage.

Yeah I am now 90% certain that the Mobo is dead.
Start with a bareboard and power supply and fire it up; Does it beep?
Old November 24, 2007, 10:16 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Could be your RAM voltages.

I think the crucial Ballistix will only well work once youve set the voltage over 1.8 (standard DDR2). Sometimes people have to use another set of DDR2 to set the voltages.

Thats What I read from the comments a couple of people who had bought the Ballistix anyway (see NCIX forum somewhere). Just a shot in the dark.
Considering I cannot get it to POST (as I mentioned) I don't know what BIOS I have or what any voltages are...

C'mon Magictorch snap out of the coma...
Old November 24, 2007, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default cheeky chops

I meant get another set of DDR2 and see if you can post with those and set the right voltage

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 24, 2007, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
I meant get another set of DDR2 and see if you can post with those and set the right voltage
Ah I don't have another set...I wonder if that is the case...I would have to find out what the default voltage setting is then buy a set of RAM that is defaulted to the same said voltage, right?

I never thought of that....good idea ty and glad to hear you've made it off of life support...