Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2010, 08:37 PM
Rookie

Default Strange problem

I am not sure what is wrong with my computer. Prime95 stability tests were good, temps were good, and everything runs fine as long as I keep using it.

But when I let my computer sit idle for a couple of hours and try to use it again, my computer does something weird. My mouse works, but everything on the desktop doesn't. Task bar, opening folders, etc. But I try to open folders long enough even my mouse freezes up. And then my computer just sits there frozen. No blue screens or warnings.
Oh and get this, even the power button doesn't work. I have to turn off the power on my PSU and restart my computer before everything is back to normal.

So I was wondering what is wrong with my computer. What is the problem and how do I fix it?
CM Hyper 212+
Corsair TX750W PSU
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7-2GBRM - 4GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost
Old July 1, 2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
F@H

it might go into a low state and bork. disable all that crap and try again
Old July 1, 2010, 09:11 PM
Rookie

What am I suppose to disable? I have already disabled all the integrated peripherals that I am not using.
CM Hyper 212+
Corsair TX750W PSU
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Old July 1, 2010, 10:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Has it done this since day one, or after some specific incident.

Go into the power options in the control panel and create a custom plan, turn off all of the low power options such as:

"turn off hard disk after"
"sleep after"
"hibernate after"
pcie "link state power management"

etc. etc.

See if it works with all of that disabled, then you can start enabling them one at a time until you find the culprit. I would suspect it to be the hard disk power down, or something similar.

I have also had CCleaner fix some weird power down problems like that for me before by cleaning the registry.
Old July 2, 2010, 02:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If I had to guess, it'd be NB voltage(s), but it could be a number of things.

I had a bugger of a time with random shutdown(s) with my 790FX and 890FX boards on OCs which had already done 10+ hours of Prime95 stability. The key (I think) is the "have to power off the PSU to get a post" symptom.

I did 3 things to resolve the issue (one of which obviously worked as I haven't had a repeat in well over a month of 24/7 folding)...........

1/ On the off chance that bios was "tightening" the secondary memory settings too far, I manually set all of the secondary timings to a known good setting.

2/ Since I was OC'ing the NB, I had concerns about the ratio between HT and HTT (NB). I had initially tried to keep HT between the 1800 - 2200 listed as spec, but since most freezing (in my experience) is related to either low NB voltage, too high NB clock, or Memory I decided to bump the HT higher than rated.... currently running a NB around 2800 with an HT of around 2400. On the NB/Memory front I also bumped my NB voltage(s) up a notch and set my Mem Voltages up a notch to compensate for using 4 sticks vice 2.

3/ Lastly.... as with all "stable" OC's, there's always a chance that no matter how much stress testing you do, it might still be unstable..... as such I bit the bullet and decided to dial my OC back from 4180 to 4120.

After having fought with some of the same symptoms you are describing (my issues were usually random shutdowns rather than freezing, but getting it to post required turning off the PSU as well), I'm happy to report that one of these steps did the trick and I'm now fully 24/7 stable.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 2, 2010, 09:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions.

@sswilson: I havn't changed my NB or HTT for my OC. The only things I have done were change the multiplier, set the RAM to the timings on the packaging, and disabled any integrated peripherals not used. Oh, I also under-volted my core voltage, but I have tested it at normal voltage and it still happens.

@dustin1706: I am not sure if it started day 1, I have only recently started leaving my computer on idle for durations greater than an hour. At first I thought it was a HDD problem as well, so I disabled HDD powering down, but it didn't seem to work. Still freezing. Not quite sure what is wrong. I am following what you said and moving through the list. Since this only happens after I let my computer sit a couple hours, the testing may take awhile. I will be back with an update when I finish.

Any more suggestions?
CM Hyper 212+
Corsair TX750W PSU
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Old July 2, 2010, 09:37 PM
Banned
F@H

run folding at home and see if its cpu related

if that doesnt do it, then run something that writes to hdd like bittorrent a linux iso with dl cap at 1k/s or something(parking heads?)
Old July 3, 2010, 06:13 AM
MVP
F@H

What OS?

Check Sleep mode settings. It sounds like you've entered sleep mode and it's not coming out of it well. I couldn't get sleep mode to work on two Win 7-64 bit machines - both would sometimes crash when trying to wake it up. I just turned sleep mode off and haven't had any trouble since.