Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

Default Downloading Drivers for Windows 7

Im wondering how to get windows 7 to automatically download drivers for itself because I KNOW that I read somewhere that it could do that.

I have a D-Link WDA-2320 Wireless G Desktop Adapter (Wireless Card) and I'm wondering how exactly I am supposed to download drivers for it. On the Microsoft website it says that it is compatible with windows 7 64-bit, but I don't know where to get the drivers. Is there some sort of built in windows 7 program that automatically searches and installs the appropriate drivers for my hardware?

Also should I use the drivers that came with my 5770, or should I just download the latest ones off of the XFX website?
Old June 29, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

goto dlink website for drivers ..
and xfx for gpu

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old June 29, 2010, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't recommend trying to install the drivers for your wireless g desktop adapter. I attempted to do the same with my g+ from dlink and it would brick my windows install (aka it would infinitely be looping the windows load screen on win 7). I think for some reason dlink and win 7 dont get along together with 'older' wireless g desktop cards even if their drivers are 'updated' but you can try at your own risk.
Old June 29, 2010, 09:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yea same thing happened with my d-link wireless adapter. It showed i was connected on the d-link program but the adapter didn't even show on my device manager. I like the built support for wireless on the W7, really helpful.
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old June 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
Top Prospect

I've decided to just buy a cheap usb dongle with wireless n for better speeds anyways. Thanks for the help guys!
Old June 29, 2010, 11:00 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Is there some sort of built in windows 7 program that automatically searches and installs the appropriate drivers for my hardware?
Yeah, it's called Windows Update...

It's not perfect, but I find it works alright at getting driver updates for my hardware. Of course, downloading the most recent drivers manually is always the best way to go if you want to make sure that you're up to date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLives View Post
Also should I use the drivers that came with my 5770, or should I just download the latest ones off of the XFX website?
Always download the latest drivers from the ATI website, not from XFX.
Old June 30, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A lot of the time the drivers Windows 7 downloads are just generic drivers. For example, the HD audio driver that's downloaded if you're using an on-board Realtek solution. I always like to download the most up-to-date drivers from the manufacturer, but I understand how some people like the simplicity of having an OS that does everything for them. Future Mac users...
Old June 30, 2010, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Zero have a point, downloading your driver yourself on the manufacturer site instead of the resseller site is better. Like for XFX reseller ) it's ATI ( manufacturer ). most of the time driver of a brand for GPU is full of crap and the driver from the OEM manfacturer is neat and clean. Windows Update will most of the time download some generic driver that are validated by MS to be working good so it's not aan everyday solution in many case. But many product like Nvidia can download driver from there. I strongly suggest to learn to do it yourself it's a well send 5 min to have a fully working computer.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 30, 2010, 08:00 AM
Top Prospect

So should I buy this $30 wireless dongle, or let win 7 search for the appropriate driver for my wireless pci card?

See, I've looked everywhere and there are NO windows 7 drivers for the wda-2320!

I kinda want to get the wireless usb dongle because first of all, its portable, its faster than my old wireless b card, and its only $30!!!
Old June 30, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If there are none to be had for win 7 (and a quick search on Dlinks site shows the latest to be for vista)...use the vista drivers. I've had to do that a couple times in the past (especially when win 7 was still beta and RC) and never had a hiccup.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr