Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Caviar Green RMA?

I am having problems with my WD Green 1TB HDD. Before contacting WD, I figured, I'd ask the real experts.

Basicly it was my external HDD and today when I connected it, the device appeared as connected, but I couldn't see the drive. I thought the usb port was defective, so I connected it to another computer without success. Then, I put the blame on the enclosure, so I connected the drive directly to my main computer with its newly installed SSD, but without success. The cables I used for that last part were the same I used for my Caviar Black, so I can pretty much rule out the cables.

Have I forgotten something ? (I usually do)

Edit: I forgot to add that I have formated the drive yesterday or the day before and then I put back the data I wanted on it, if that can mean anything.
Old June 28, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try to plug the disk in the computer and format it ( if you can see it ) using acronis disk creator. If even Acronis don't see the drive then...RMA time:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 28, 2010, 03:09 PM
Banned
F@H

delete partition, make new one and give it another try

hook up hdtune. yellow or red? dont try any further :)
Old June 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Right now, I can't delete any partition as I do not see the disk at all. I will see with Acronis and HD Tune tho.
Old June 28, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gah, I'm on my cousin's computer, so the post made by Oizombie is actually mine.

HD Tune reports the drive's health status as warning (yellow)
Old June 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Gah, I'm on my cousin's computer, so the post made by Oizombie is actually mine.

HD Tune reports the drive's health status as warning (yellow)

lt us know when you get the replacement :)
Old June 28, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am able to see the drive in the BIOS, I just ran Data Lifeguard on it and it passed the extended and the quick test.
I am having a hard time with Acronis.
Now I am unsure of what I should do. Is a "warning" enough to warrant a RMA ?

Edit: Here is a little update to everything because suddently I get the feeling it matters.

Here is what happened recently (last 2-3 days), I removed the partitions and formatted my external HDD (Caviar Green). I tranfered files I wanted to keep to my external. I installed a new SSD to my computer to replace my Caviar Black. I was checking on my Caviar Green to make sure the files were there before I proceeded with the unpartitionning and formating of my Caviar Black and that's where I got the problem.

Last edited by Kilauea; June 28, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old June 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
Rookie

So let me get this straight. You can see the drive in BIOS but you can't see the drive in My Computer? You probably need to initialize the drive before windows can use it. You need to go into Disk Management.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.
From there, select the Computer Management -> Stroage -> Disk Management.

If it's there right click on it (should be the drive without a letter assigned) then go from there.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
Banned
F@H

yeah but the yellow poop is not good on your utility. i trust hdtune. had other utilities tell me me seagate was green...riiiiiight. hdtune was the only one to show consistency...and it blew lol.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect

Are you using XP 32bit?