Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2010, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Angry Can't get Asus 5770 to work

Ok, this will probably take a bit of explaining but here goes.
A few years back I bought a 8800 GTS for my brother's computer, which had originally come with a 7350 (some HP exclusive card), fast forward to a few weeks back, and the GPU starts acting up, it artifacts, it freezes, pretty much dies. I try it on different computers, and no luck, the GPU has sung it's last song, or in this case, rendered it's last pixel. So, I replace the 8800 with the 7350 until we can get a new good GPU. The PC works fine, it can't play games, but it works. Today, we went and bought an Asus 5770. I put it in, and plug everything. I turn on the computer, but there's no display, the GPU is making GPU esque noises, it seems to be working, but there's no display. So began my long and tedius troubleshooting procedures. I tried a 5750 in the same computer, no luck. I tried the Asus 5770 in a different computer, it works. So well, I figured that it might have been the powersupply, and as such I try to hijack some power. I bring another computer over, and use the other Pc's PCI-express slot to power the Asus in my brothers computer, no luck. As a last bid, I summon up the man within me ,and I connect most of my brothers computer to a different power supply, I didn't connect the Hard disk, but I figured that it would atleast get to BIOS. No, luck. I remove the Asus, and put the 7350 back in, and lo and behold, it works. So, could anyone wager a guess as to what is wrong? You know the little knob thing in a PCI-express slot, I broke that many years back, but the 8800 gts, and the 7350 still work(ed), so I don't know if that's the problem.

Quick conclusion: Only a 7350 works, a 5750,and a 5770 don't work, by don't work I mean no display, the monitor is lost and all alone.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:03 PM
Banned
F@H

possibly a chipset or bios limitation, see if theres any updates. if you tried a good known working psu and the card works in another puter, thats it.

usually i put nvidia cards in the crappy systems from dell,etc. never fails me, as long as psu can take it
Old June 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah this happen so many time with the fking pre-built system, they day you want tu put a GPU that is younger compare to the PC it wont work...try to find a old 8800 or change the mobo, that's what we do at job unless there are bios update that fix the issue but HP is a no go most of the time.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Yeah this happen so many time with the fking pre-built system, they day you want tu put a GPU that is younger compare to the PC it wont work...try to find a old 8800 or change the mobo, that's what we do at job unless there are bios update that fix the issue but HP is a no go most of the time.
Hmm, I didn't know that motherboards could be limiting in that sense, I learnt something new today.
Old June 27, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zergy View Post
Hmm, I didn't know that motherboards could be limiting in that sense, I learnt something new today.
I was thinkg the same when I first saw the issue about a years ago What is the model of your HP maybe we can look with you if there is any solution. If not then changing the mobo is the only way. But IMO, changing mobo in a HP thatis about 3 years old isn't valuable. Upgrade the whole system keeping PSU and GPU.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 27, 2010, 11:15 PM
Banned
F@H

only nvidia, dont try over g92/g200. if you can swap in a 260(if it fits) and it works be it.
Old June 28, 2010, 11:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I was thinkg the same when I first saw the issue about a years ago What is the model of your HP maybe we can look with you if there is any solution. If not then changing the mobo is the only way. But IMO, changing mobo in a HP thatis about 3 years old isn't valuable. Upgrade the whole system keeping PSU and GPU.
I would get a new motherboard, use the old CPU and memory and use a new case (cause the HP ones are impossible to work with), but is it a good idea to get a cheap LGA 775 motherboard? I wouldn't mind getting a full system revamp but that would require a good deal of money:(. Also is there any way of knowing before buying a motherboard that it would work with the 5770, and the HP is this one: HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8020n PC specifications - HP Home & Home Office Products
Old June 29, 2010, 12:22 AM
Banned
F@H

when it comes for those towers? more of a headache. just buil another one and sell old one

any new or not too old RETAIL mobo should work
Old June 29, 2010, 03:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Trying to update to the latest BIOS version if what I would do first of all.

Tags
5770 , 8800 gts , asus , no display