Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2010, 11:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Ikari Laser Mouse Left Click Recognition Trouble

Hey all,
I purchased my Steelseries Ikari laser mouse probably like 6 months back, and I have loved it ever since.
Great mouse, really comfortable and all...

But starting from about last month, I have noticed my left clicks being registered as double clicks. It started out very minor, and rare, but as time went by it became more and more noticable.

Now sometimes the double clicking goes up to like 6 times in a row and I have even caught it triple clicking on me sometimes.

I heard Linus mention this problem in one of his vids, so if Linus sees this, maybe he could send me a pm of how he dealt with Steelseries pl0x?

So yeah...

Any ideas on what to do, or how to fix this, or if someone is experiencing this too?
Thanks in advance!
-s288 <---- there it went again...

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's
Steelseries Xai Laser Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old June 26, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah i also heard Linus talking about this, from his video his solution was just replace it :S
Maybe talk with steelseries and see if you can get a new one?
Old June 26, 2010, 03:47 AM
Rookie

Might you consider the possible of checking your mouse setting under control panels, or the software the mouse came with?

Worth to mention.

All the best!
Old June 26, 2010, 09:24 AM

My System Specs

Mine use to do this when it was new. After doing many very very hard fast clicks on it, the issue no longer exists.

Going on at least a year and a half since w/ no issues.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Heh thanks for the responses guys,
I did get a response from Steelseries after about 36 hours, and it looks like might send me a new one.
I just gave them a pic of my receipt and all that jazz, and yeah...
Hopefully I wont have to take it apart.

@hedgehog88 - Yeah I tried all that stuff, and it didnt make any difference, a lot of other people tried it too with the same problem and it didnt seem to help. But thanks!

@Lowfat - Hehe, I be sure to try that from now on until I get a response from Steelseries!

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's
Steelseries Xai Laser Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old April 12, 2013, 05:38 AM
Trial Member

I'm having this problem beginning to develop, I've been having double clicks on the mouse wheel click (that I use all the time to open in a new tab) for a long time now... for both the mouse button and the mouse wheel button if I click as far back as possible it registers as single but if I have my finger too far forward when I click it registers as double.
I dunno what to do as I had this bought in the US and brought over to me in France by a friend.
Old February 27, 2014, 01:21 AM
Trial Member

TL;DR your mouse is made of cheap plastic, stick two or three layers of scotch tape to the underside of your left clicker and you're good to go.

Hey guys, I've seen this problem on two different mice and it was the same cause for both and very simple to fix. You just need a screwdriver, a knife and some scotch tape. Underneath the shell of your mouse is the actual button, you're just pressing a flexible key down on to the button. The shell of your mouse however is made of cheap plastic which has worn down from all the hours you've spent playing video games. This causes the button to not be pushed down all the way, it hovers just over the electronic signaler or whatever's in there and registers numerous clicks where there should obviously be only one.

Anyways, now that you have a general idea of what causes the problem and the materials required to fix it, you probably already know what to do. Open up your mouse. The screws are usually under the sliders so peel those off gently being careful not to bend them. On the Ikari they are beneath the top and bottom, leave the two side sliders alone. Pry it open carefully and look under the left clicker which is now on the right side unless you're holding your mouse upside down. If you look extremely close you should see the horizontal imprint from the button wearing down the plastic.

Cut off a a few very small pieces of scotch tape and stick it on that worn out piece. Not the white button, but the part which pushes the white button down. Reinsert one screw to start so you can do a quick test, hopefully the mouse functions as new. If not you can try adding another layer of tape.

TL;DR your mouse is made of cheap plastic, stick two or three layers of scotch tape to the underside of your left clicker and you're good to go.

Last edited by MrHobo; February 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:17 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHobo View Post

Hey guys, I've seen this problem on two different mice and it was the same cause for both and very simple to fix. You just need a screwdriver, a knife and some scotch tape. Underneath the shell of your mouse is the actual button, you're just pressing a flexible key down on to the button. The shell of your mouse however is made of cheap plastic which has worn down from all the hours you've spent playing video games. This causes the button to not be pushed down all the way, it hovers just over the electronic signaler or whatever's in there and registers numerous clicks where there should obviously be only one.

Anyways, now that you have a general idea of what causes the problem and the materials required to fix it, you probably already know what to do. Open up your mouse. The screws are usually under the sliders so peel those off gently being careful not to bend them. On the Ikari they are beneath the top and bottom, leave the two side sliders alone. Pry it open carefully and look under the left clicker which is now on the right side unless you're holding your mouse upside down. If you look extremely close you should see the horizontal imprint from the button wearing down the plastic.

Cut off a a few very small pieces of scotch tape and stick it on that worn out piece. Not the white button, but the part which pushes the white button down. Reinsert one screw to start so you can do a quick test, hopefully the mouse functions as new. If not you can try adding another layer of tape.

This worked like a charm, so thanks! I thought I would have to buy a new mouse, the mouse is 4 or 5 years old after all. I opened up the mouse and tried clicking the micro switch myself, which worked just fine; did what you did and now it works again .