Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2010, 10:08 PM
Top Prospect

Default Power Button Doesn't Work, but Power Button on Motherboard Does!

Hi guys,

I recently put together my first computer build and I've run into a problem. I'm using a Coolermaster 690 II Advanced case and an ASUS P7P55D EVO. The problem that I keep running into is that I can not turn on my computer using the power button, and yet if I push this power button on my ASUS mobo, everything will turn on and function normally. I've reseated everything at least 5 times, and each time following the manual's instructions, but I still can't get my power button to work.

I've also installed Windows and my drivers without a hitch, and I've been running my computer for about 2-3 hours just surfing the web/youtubing. It's pretty frustrating that I have to leave my computer case open and push the power button from the motherboard to just turn on the computer :(

Any suggestions on what else I should be checking for?
Old June 23, 2010, 10:18 PM

My System Specs

Try grounding out the power pins on the motherboard w/ a jumper for a second to see if it turns on. If it does then the issue is w/ the actual power button. If it doesn't work there is something wrong w/ the motherboard.
Old June 24, 2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

If the power button on the board works, considered the switch on the case is not working or you misconnected it? I'm pretty sure the power switch on the motherboard is wired to the same pins as the power switch pins.
Old June 24, 2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
F@H

get out your manual and follow the above. make sure you have proper light, and watch out where you short :)
Old June 25, 2010, 07:53 AM
HaDeS

+1 lowfat