Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2010, 01:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default A-Data SSD Firmware Update

Firmware Update For A-DATA AS592S-32GM-C 32GB SSD:

1. Download and install "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" From Here http://icrontic.com/uploads/2009/03/hp_usb_disk_format_tool.zip
2. Download and EXTRACT "Win98_bootdisk" From Here MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
3.Download and extract Firmware Update From Here A-DATA Technology
4. Open "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool"
Under "Device" select your USB thumb drive
"File system" Fat32
"Format Options" check mark Quick Format and Create DOS startup disk
And then Browse for the folder you extracted "Win98_bootdisk" to and click start and wait to finish then press close.
4.Copy over Firmware Update to the USB drive you just created.(there shouldn't be any files/folders when you open the USB drive that's normal)
5.Reboot and go into the BIOS
Change SATA mode or AHCI mode to IDE or Native IDE if not already.
Change the First Boot Device to USB or USB-HDD which ever one you have or you can simply Press F12 (might be different) to go into the Boot Menu
Press F10 to save and exit.
5.Boot to your USB, you will be greeted with a command prompt
first type in "C:" then Enter
type "dir" then Enter it should show you the Firmware software
type either FWUPDATE.EXE for 1571 update or 1848.EXE for 1848 and press Enter update which ever one you downloaded in step 3.(Note: you have to have 1571 Firmware before updating to 1848.)
type Y then enter when greeted with "Do You Want To Find Target Drives"
type in the number of the drive(usually 1) that you want to update and now your finished it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds for Firmware to install.
6.Reboot PC and your done.

Last edited by mjbdc07; June 21, 2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old June 14, 2010, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if it's not "C" drive then it's the next letter not the one in the os this does not matter at all. try "D" drive that's what it came up. it took me a while to get it down but once you do it it's easy
Old June 14, 2010, 03:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

yeah i tried other letters but i get the bad command message, how exactly did you do yours?
Old June 14, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just booted from a usb that was setup with the hpusb booting tool with a dos boot image then i pulled up the DIR on the usb drive then run the EXE. update file and it would bring up the update tool then i just run it. the first dos image i used didn't work

check to see if your motherboard supports mulity-porting if it does turn if off if you can't you may have a problem, i was not able to turn it off on my gigabyte board. this caused error's like your talking about.
Old June 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

could you tell me which boot cd you used?
Old June 18, 2010, 06:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no boot cd just a dos 98 boot cd flashed to the usb that has the the exe.update file on it. I just use the "HP usb disk storage tools" to make the usb bootable then transfer over teh update files to the usb then boot form usb device then pull up the "DIR" to make sure it's the right one then run the EXE to run the update.

edit that was a big mistake on there part using a boot cd i was never able to get it to work just make your usb drive boot-able using a 98 dos image file then add the update files to the root of the usb drive then boot from said usb drive tehn run the EXE. from usb then your update software will take over it's easy form there.

Last edited by gingerbee; June 18, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old June 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

hey i saw your other post A-Data Updates XPG SX95 & S592 SSD with New Windows 7 TRIM Firmware | Hardware Canucks

i did everything there, i added the 1848.exe file to the folder before i ran the hp usb disk software. i boot to it fine but when i type 1848.exe it says bad command was i supposed to add the firmware to another folder?
Old June 18, 2010, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

did you add all the files in the firmware folder to the usb drive.if so the only other thing i can think of is possible multi-port on your sata ports. because i have update a few a-data's this way
Old June 18, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What firmware rev are you running?

For my 592 I first had to download 1571 flash it, reboot then download 1848 and then flash it to that. It would not jump from my earlier version directly to 1848. No idea why, but that's what I had to do ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 19, 2010, 01:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

i have no idea what multipport is my mobo is Ga-MA790gp-ds4h

and i'm running 1571 firmware that it came with.

on and AKG can you tell me how exactly you did yours like what boot cd etc.