Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
Rookie

Default Asus A7N8X-VM socket A (462)

I can't get into the bios any more.

This is my old rig which I was going to use in the garage so I did some upgrades. ie) wireless card, 1gb more ram, new case,etc. I did a clean install of Win XP everything was fine(2 weeks) until I swapped my sound and wireless card do to the antennae getting in the way of my RCA outs on the sound card.

After my first re-boot it hung up a bit did a reset and it was fine. I didn't have time to reconfigure everything so I shut it down, on my next boot nothing no bias screen just blank? I reset the cmos and the bios screen comes on checks and see's all my hardware except the floppy drive and I can't get into the bios setup.

The floppy does not light up on start up so I can't even use a boot disk. I tried the mobo cd which is supposed to be bootable and nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old June 13, 2010, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Well after a couple of hours unplugged I powered it up to get my cd out and the floppy powered up. I managed to update the bios file which loaded fine then I re-booted and it's doing the same thing again and now the floppy is not recognized again.
Old June 13, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This sounds like a no POST situation/ Do you have any LEDs lighting up (e.g. ASUS mobo will light up the hard disk activity LED solid if there is a problem with it trying to POST).

Check out the recovery guide: 10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide

From your description, you said the problem started when you tried out the sound and wireless card. Either something is odd with those two cards and / or their slots, or you disturbed something else within your computer.
Check ALL connections (e.g. did you pull out or dislodge the CPU power connector when you were installing the other cards) - if you find something wrong, fix the connection and try to POST again.
If that doesn't work, remove the wireless and sound cards and see if the computer POSTs.
Old June 13, 2010, 05:06 PM
Banned
F@H

undo everything, reset whatever you can minimalistically put it together with BARE BARE minumums and try again. not worth the headaches if it still wont work.
Old June 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
Rookie

Sorry for the delay.

I have removed the sound and wireless card along with one stick of ram.
Tried both sticks one at a time still will not let me get into the bios or boot the o/s.
It will boot off a floppy if I let it sit unplugged for a long time but goes back to the same issue if I try to reboot again right away.

All connections seem fine led on the board lights up I'll check the hd led next time.

I am now trying the reset jumper on for 24hrs.

Thanks.
Old June 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
Rookie

Back from the dead. I left the reset jumper on for 24hrs put a fresh battery in and it booted into Windows.
Thanks for the replies.