Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Data transfer from Win ME to Win 7

Hi guys, here I have a PC that I have do backup the HDD to a new computer. The old one is running windows ME ( NTFS ) and the new one is running windows 7. The problem is that some folder have admin right that I can't overpass in windows 7 ( don't know why ). Actually the old P3 isn't booting so I can't open windows to remove them. If you have any clue about how to ditch these right and be able to copy the file to the new PC please tell me! If you need more detail, ask please!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 5, 2010, 12:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Right click the drive, properties, security, advanced, owner, edit, click Administrators, check off Replace owner, click OK, click OK, click OK.

If that still doesn't work out, then go back into security, advanced, change permissions, click Administrators, edit, check full control, click OK, check Replace all, click OK, click OK, click OK.
Old June 5, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Right click the drive, properties, security, advanced, owner, edit, click Administrators, check off Replace owner, click OK, click OK, click OK.

If that still doesn't work out, then go back into security, advanced, change permissions, click Administrators, edit, check full control, click OK, check Replace all, click OK, click OK, click OK.

I tried both but still not working...that's pretty annoying...Thx at all Jdorm! I learn 2 new way of doing it

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 5, 2010, 02:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Boot off a Linux LiveCD and try copying over the files with that?
Old June 5, 2010, 02:22 PM
Banned
F@H

there is a forced copy kinda proggy that works with bad drives as well, try it(dont remember name but i think it was mentioned in here a week or so a go)
Old June 5, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
there is a forced copy kinda proggy that works with bad drives as well, try it(dont remember name but i think it was mentioned in here a week or so a go)
There are two of them that I have used: FastCopy and Unstoppable Copier. Both work well but I'm not certain they will work with this, worth a try though. Just so you know I have found FastCopy to be quite a bit faster.

Old June 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I tried both but still not working...that's pretty annoying...Thx at all Jdorm! I learn 2 new way of doing it
Odd. Should of given you full control of the drive.

Then again, I've never seen ME in my life (saw lots of 98SE though), let alone trying to copy files from ME to Windows 7.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unstop copier and other software wont work to:( and for linux, I have no idea how itwork:)...

Martin_metal_88

Old June 7, 2010, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
The old one is running windows ME ( NTFS ) and the new one is running windows 7. The problem is that some folder have admin right that I can't overpass in windows 7 ( don't know why ).
I think Windows ME by default runs FAT32 and not NTFS, though I guess 3rd party (?sysinternal?) add-on may allow it to have NTFS partitions.

If it is WinME and FAT32 then you're probably dealing with some 3rd party encryption stuff.

If it's NTFS and if taking ownership with the Admin group (make sure that you gave it to the Administrators GROUP and not the Administrator Account) did not give you access, you maybe dealing with NTFS's own encrypted file system, or there maybe a deny flag set, best run XCACLS from CMD console (start > search > cmd.exe) and see what you're dealing with and use it to overwrite the ACL instead of editing it, e.g., something like:

xcacls {path} /G administrators:OF /T /C

If it's encryption, probably not much you can do unless you have the recovery keys.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

DCCV44 I will keep your comment in my solution folder. For now I success to back up the data by booting a windows on a live CD in safe mode. Then copy everything to a external HD ( 40GB in usb 1.1 was pain ) and copy it back again on the new computer. But wow...this have been a great challenge for me:)

Martin_metal_88