Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2010, 07:19 PM
Rookie

Default CPU temp is 60+ C high..help!

Had my rig for about 2 and a half years now. About 6 months ago, I came to notice that the CPU temperature is averaging 55-60 degrees C when booting up and running a few apps like internet explorer. Once I play a game, it goes up to about 65 C. Temperture use to be in mid to low 30's. I checked the fans and they seem to be working. I even installed CPU-Z and Speed Fan to monitor the temps. At first I thought I overlocked the processor, but doesn't look like it. I also noticed in the BIOS that the Chassis fan speed is in red (which is bad?) I took some pictures including my tower and identified that the chassis fan is the one hanging on the door. I actually bought that a while back for really cheap and added it on for some extra cooling. It was even fine without it...so I don't think running around the 400RPM for that is a big deal? Also noticed that the power fan speed is "N/A." Anyone know why and how it can be solved?

Anyway, I'm not so sure why the CPU has been heating up. I checked the CPU in my tower and it seems to be glued on tight and properly. I already tried cleaning and dusting the tower every month, but no luck. Its also on a table where it can breathe properly especially with the AC on in my room. Could it be another fan problem because I can't tell if its broken or not. Been trouble shooting this for a while and no luck. So far, I haven't run into any crashes or anything and everything seems to function properly in windows. I'm just a little worried that it might burn out one day. Let me know if any little tips you guys can come up with.

Thanks!! and here are my specs and see the image attachment:

AMD Phenom Quadcore 9500 2.2ghz
Antec 900 Gaming Tower
Corsair DDR2 4 gigs of Ram
Asus M3A motherboard
ATI Radeon 3870 512mb
Power supply antec 650 watts
Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
Attached Images

Last edited by dbear; June 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old June 3, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

do the CPU speed come down some time or not? if not it is looking like stock sensor to me. Try to use other soft like Everest or realtemp to see if there is different temp. You can also try re-seating the CPU cooler + a new thermal paste. Try this and give us some update;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 3, 2010, 07:59 PM
Rookie

The CPU speed tends to go up and down I believe. And I don't see a big temperature difference in Everest or Realtemp. I also thought about reseating the CPU, but haven't really gotten around to it. I was hoping that could be last resort option or even getting a new computer :). I'm actually a little inexperience around that area especially with the thermal paste. I'll do some research and give it a try whenever I get a chance. Thanks for the input and i'll get back to you on that.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
do the CPU speed come down some time or not? if not it is looking like stock sensor to me. Try to use other soft like Everest or realtemp to see if there is different temp. You can also try re-seating the CPU cooler + a new thermal paste. Try this and give us some update;)
+1 on the resetting cpu heatsink with some good paste. As martin says use real temp to get a different temperature reading to verify your other readings.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try HWMonitor. Speedfan isn't that good.

-Plato
Old June 3, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One more question. Is the CPU getting lower time to time or it's always 60 and up???

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 3, 2010, 10:35 PM
Rookie

When I first turn on my comp, its usually around 55 C...after minutes, its bounces around 60-65. I think the highest I've seen it was 68. I've been getting nervous about it but everything seems to function ok even playing games. I also tried HWmonitor and that looks like a pretty cool temp monitor. Still got the same ratings though. I don't think realtemp worked for me because i'm using an AMD processor opposed to Intel.
Do you guys think a rise in this temp for a CPU is critical? I heard once it gets around the 80's means it'll fry out? should i also worry about the "power fan speed" which is N/A displayed in my BIOS?
Old June 4, 2010, 06:16 AM
HaDeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
+1 on the resetting cpu heatsink with some good paste. As martin says use real temp to get a different temperature reading to verify your other readings.
Paste is irrrelavent... using the white, industry standard, and non-conducting thermal paste will be fine. If it's been 2 years since a re-seat then it is long overdue. If you are new to seating cpus then I'd suggest NOT using some high end thermal paste that gives you possibly 2 degrees cooler but could potentially fry your mother board aka Arctic Silver.

As a rule of thumb stoanee... never tell someone who's never seated a cpu to use expensive paste because it's nearly impossible to screw up the white stuff. No offense.

You will need
rubbing alcohol
compressed air
a little paint brush
thermal paste (white stuff is FINE)

and side from supplies... patience. Don't rush or force anything.

IF you are nervous take it into ANY computer shop they can do it for you in minutes.
Old June 4, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^ and if you think that they may put any tim anywhere that may cause a problem then they shouldn't be doing it. period.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there is many guide out here ad help of other forum member to tell him how to apply tim correctly. There is no reason if you read a little to do it wrong. He also don't have to remove the CPU, only remove the HSF,clean everything, put new thermal paste and put it back again. The only thing that have to be watched is that the CPU don't stick to the HSF when you pull it could bend some pin. But that's easy to prevent if you ask how to do it right:)

Martin_metal_88