Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 08:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Local networks and VPNs

I was wondering if anyone knew how i can stay connected to my local network when i connect to a vpn as there are some storage hard drives i'd like to have access to on my local network but can't when i use a vpn.

So how do i connect to my local network when i am using a vpn?
Old May 31, 2010, 10:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I 'knew' but I forgot
Old June 1, 2010, 05:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats ever so helpful, lol
Old June 1, 2010, 11:06 AM
Rookie
F@H

Well, it depends. Is this your own VPN connection, or a work one? The only reason I ask is because a work set-up may block you from sharing local resources.

That said, to change it (assuming a mstsc connection in windows):
- Open up mstsc.exe.
- Click on the options drop down in the bottom left.
- Go to the "Local Resources" tab
- Click "More" button in the Local devices and resources section.
- Check off the resources you want access to.

You will have to have those local resources mapped to a drive letter most likely.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

that depends greatly on the client you are using. If it's the Cisco VPN Client then there is a check box on the transport tab of a vpn connection called Allow Local Lan Access. This needs to be checked off. If it's the sonicwall one it just works. Not sure on the windows one.
Old June 1, 2010, 01:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah, I guess it depends on how your client handles your traffic. If it tunnels all outbound traffic to the remote network then you won't be able to access machines on your local network (unless the network you're tunneling to somehow has access to your local network). If it sets up the tunnel as just another network (for example, Forticlient does this), then you can have as many connections as you want and be able to access all available network resources. I still don't know too too much about VPN, but that's what I gather anyway, from what I've seen.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06