Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2007, 11:09 PM
Top Prospect

Default Throttling CPU

OK something is throttling my Q6600 down to 6 x 266 (1600mhz). I have been messing around with the BIOS settings for a few days now and I can't pinpoint what is causing this. My temps are below 40c at idle so I assume that it isn't a thermal issue. I have a vanilla Asus P5K and I was wondering if anyone with the same board could shed some light on the problem.

These are the features in the CPU section of the BIOS:

C1E Support
Max CPUID Value Limit
Vanderpool Technology
CPU TM Function
Execute Disable Bit
PECI

I'm not sure what all of these settings do so if someone could tell me which of these "features" is responsible for downclocking my CPU I would be appreciative.
Old November 14, 2007, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

I disable them all. Except maybe the Vanderpool Tech one. Never caused any probs.

But the setting you are referring to is the CPU TM Function. Thats the one throttling your CPU.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old November 14, 2007, 09:13 AM
Top Prospect

OK well initially I just disabled CPU TM Function and no luck. Then I disabled everything except Vanderpool and it worked. So I am still curious, which one of those was throttling my CPU? Could someone explain what all those features are?
Old November 14, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not at my own computer right now so I can't verify, but I think it's the C1E if I recall
Old November 30, 2007, 06:52 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

From what I have seen....

It is The C1E setting causing the throttling. A power saving feature on the ASUS boards. Reduces multiplier at low CPU load.

The TM function is your temperature safety shutdown, if you go higher then the cpu thermal design it will shut down or seriously throttle down automatically.

PCIe is the frequency of your PCIe Bus, normally left alone at Auto (100), some adjust it if overclocked and sounds are disappearing during gaming. In high OC the RAID will fail and the harddrives will not be seen. There is risk to your video cards with this setting. Hope this helps a bit.
Old November 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd just disable C1E Support and Max CPUID Value Limit while leaving the rest on.

I'd rather not have my CPU fry in the event it does overheat. I'd rather it throttle.

But it is the C1E that is doing the throttling in your case.
Old November 30, 2007, 12:49 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Its the Asus AInap that is changing your multiplier. You can disable it in the power management of the bios and uninstall AInap from the add/remove programs.

I wouldn't. It instantly clocks you back up to 9x when you put a load on it. Test it with cpu-z and and see. I love that feature.