Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Booting from USB

I just got my new machine put together and I wanted to install Windows 7 from a USB key, but it wouldn't boot. I've got an Asus P7P55D-e pro updated to the 806 bios and i put the removable drive as the highest priority on the boot list. I know the stick works since I recently used it to install Windows on another machine using a GA-H55M-USB3 board. I also tried putting the stick in variety of ports both on the front panel and in back

I managed to get Windows up via DVD and it detects the USB key properly and I can read and write files to it, so it's not a connection issue. Anyone have any ideas?
Old May 26, 2010, 02:04 PM
MVP

from what i've been reading, it's critical as to how you got the OS onto the USB drive.

Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive
Old May 26, 2010, 02:13 PM

My System Specs

You don't set removable devices to the top. A fat32 formatted USB is not considered a removable device but as a hard drive. So you have to go in to the hard drive boot priority and move the flash drive to the front of the list.
Old May 26, 2010, 02:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks lowfat. There's a separate menu for selecting the order of hard drives to boot from. This is a rather silly move on Asus' part, but it works
Old May 26, 2010, 02:48 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilocient View Post
Thanks lowfat. There's a separate menu for selecting the order of hard drives to boot from. This is a rather silly move on Asus' part, but it works
There is a separate hard drive boot order on nearly every motherboard I've owned in the past 5 years. Even the H55M-USB3 that you have does.
Old June 13, 2010, 03:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what lowfat said, i had the same problem while installing linux on my machine with USB.