Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
Rookie

Default Computer not starting up properly

So, I have been having this problem with my computer, I was out of town for a while and my computer was left in the less capable hands of my brother. When I got back he said it was blue screening and stuff and he had stopped using it (didnt blue screen when I left! lol). So, I took a look at it... Could barely get it to boot up.
It'll boot up the first time alright, but then when you log into windows it restarts it self, then after that it usually doesn't post, but somtimes it'll get to the ASUS logo but then stop there.
I have checked over everything except for pulling the heatsink off and Checking the CPU, but i figure if it was the CPU then it wouldnt get to windows that first time? So, I swapped memory, still nothing. New Video card, nothing.
I am left thinking it is the motherboard and thinking about sending it to ASUS. Is there any way this could be the CPU? I don't want to send it back to ASUS if it isn't the motherboard
Any Ideas?

And I reset BIOS to default settings when I could, so it is no longer overclocked and it is on all the factory settings.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
MVP

try safe mode and see if you can shut off the restart option.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:06 PM
Rookie

Cannot try that at the present time, as it will not boot up at all for the moment. It only boots up once in a blue moon

EDIT- It decided to boot up again after I let it sit for a bit, disabled restart, so, instead of restarting it just froze at the welcome screen after I started logging in

Last edited by Gooses; May 26, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

sounds if heat issue check cpu fan connection and all power connectors to MB

also ask ur bro whats been doing with computer......malware has launched
Old May 26, 2010, 05:53 PM
Banned
F@H

hows the psu?
Old May 27, 2010, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Not sure about the PSU, as far as I know it's fine, I don't have a tester for it, any easy way to test it?
Don't think it is malware, always had protection on it, it happened a while ago too almost a year now (just getting around to it now)..
All cooling is working, I have an aftermarket cooler on it as well, re plugged all connections, still no luck
Old May 28, 2010, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooses View Post
Cannot try that at the present time, as it will not boot up at all for the moment. It only boots up once in a blue moon
Have you tried shutting off the power at the PSU to see if it boots up reliably?

Is it Vista RTM or SP1? You know Vista RTM can nuke everything within a 5 mile radius... ;-) If you have a Linux Live distro handy, try it, it may rule out software issue for sure.

Quote:
Not sure about the PSU, as far as I know it's fine, , I don't have a tester for it, any easy way to test it?
Testers are available for ~$30-40 but those will only show major failure. Swapping with known good unit would be the easiest. (BTW did you check if the power pins for the front panel connect have not come loose)

Quote:
Don't think it is malware, always had protection on it,
Don't think it's malware either in this case, but unless the system was running most of the time with restricted user privileges and is always patched up-to-date, I wouldn't bank on any protections that's installed.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
Have you tried shutting off the power at the PSU to see if it boots up reliably?
Yes, the outcome is no different.

Quote:
Is it Vista RTM or SP1? You know Vista RTM can nuke everything within a 5 mile radius... ;-) If you have a Linux Live distro handy, try it, it may rule out software issue for sure.
It was SP1 or 2 or something along those lines forget which ones, but it did have a service pack on it, don't have linux, but i do have XP on it as well, in a dual boot situation, it still dies.

Quote:
Testers are available for ~$30-40 but those will only show major failure. Swapping with known good unit would be the easiest. (BTW did you check if the power pins for the front panel connect have not come loose)
Dont have a power supply with high enough wattage or the machine to test with. It's not the front panel.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Reset cmos

Confirm your memory cpu and vid has not been overclocked.Take note of temperatures in bios.

Take everything out that you can leave 1 HD 1 stick of mem,confirm remaining ram is functional via memtest.

Note this is to be done all the while cursing your younger brother

Mobos failure is low that's why I always aim peripherals 90 % of bsod is caused by emr emp solar bursts and GOD lol unless your using ecc which pretty much noone uses the possibility of being hit with a stray gamma burst is surprisingly high.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nvidia chipset...could be the cheapset overheat. that's not new that we see P5N32 ( or any NV chip ) dying like that. try running with a big house fan aside the system with a open side panel.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||