Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 24, 2010, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default Netbook keyboard and water damage

Hi all,

I was given a netbook at work that was written off due to water damage. It runs, though it doesn't seem to charge. Some of the keys work and some don't (I think it was coffee as a lot of keys are sticky). Now, the keyboard that could replace the one on it is only $32 on ebay, so if the thing runs and swapping the keyboard is all I need to do to get it running it's worth it. Now, I am new to note and netbooks alike, so here's my questions:

If some of the keys work, does that mean swapping the keyboard should work? Or could it be the connections to the keyboard, making it not worth it? Is there a way to test this without buying the other keyboard first?

At only $32 I am pretty sure I am just going to bite the bullet and take the loss if it turns out that it is more than just the keyboard. If it's the case I'll put it on here or ebay for parts and make sure I get enough to cover the board hehe.

Thanks all.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

a HB pencil is cheaper, just retrace the grid with pencil on film after opening keyboard.

yes kb fail most likly thats the issue
Old May 24, 2010, 06:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Most likely the keyboard itself is damaged and a replacement would fix the issue. However, the charging issue is a much more significant concern. I suggest you use the netbook with an external keyboard for a while and see if that was just some kind of fluke. If it actually won't charge then the thing is pretty much a brick, since I doubt you would be able to fix it unless you're an electronics engineer.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:13 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the input. If I can't get it to charge it's turning into a backup computer at home. $32 backup? Not a bad deal, heheh. I'll more than likely try it with a usb keyboard to make sure it at least can run for extended periods of time without exploding. Thanks again all.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bit of a last ditch effort but you can try to remove the keyboard and wash it off in water, let it dry completely and reattach it.

Does the netbook startup though?

Old May 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
Top Prospect

It starts up. My boss messed around with it a bit before giving it to me and he turned it off incorrectly, and because the enter key doesn't work I can't get past the boot screen heheh. I'll try washing the keyboard, see if that helps.
Old May 25, 2010, 03:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyxtwing View Post
It starts up. My boss messed around with it a bit before giving it to me and he turned it off incorrectly, and because the enter key doesn't work I can't get past the boot screen heheh. I'll try washing the keyboard, see if that helps.
not a good idea for the etching will short out on the film if not taken completely apart, so it don't sit between keyboard membrane.

best open keyboard remove film membrane then wash hard parts and the film with damp paper towel and and dry membrane then use a HB pencil to fix grid where not working

what laptop you have a Dell? charging problem can be non dell charger for dell is Priority Hardware

Last edited by KaptCrunch; May 25, 2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The huge problem we see very often at work is that people let them dry closed on the table. If it happen you have to put it on the side to let the liquid go out by the fan exhaust. If you don't the next step is worst...rust on the circuit layer. If it won't charge that's probably because the battery connector on the lappy have been shorted out with the liquid. Unless you are capable of doing Layer circuit or PCB no chance to fix it. But you can try swap the KB since it's a totally independant part. Replacing it will fix all KB trouble. BUT! the plug on lappy KB is pretty special READ ALOT first! or you cane asely screw it up.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I've repaired alot of laptops with water damage. On about 80% of these repairs the keyboards need to be replaced. Its a pretty simple procedure and the KBs are generally inexpensive. If your worried about the unit functioning properly just grab the USB keyboard off of your PC and plug it into a port on the netbook. The unit "should" function normally if there are no other problems as mentioned by martin_metal_88.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0