Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2007, 11:29 AM
Trial Member

Default Need Help! Im out of ideas.

So i was on here about a week ago looking at your review and stuff for a building a new system. I finally got all the parts in and was all happy, but now it just blue screens. I tried installing vista 64 for the first time and it all worked fine till after the first restart when it tries to actually go into windows. No matter how many times i have tried formating and starting over it blue screens as soon as it tries to get in windows after the first restart during installation. I even pulled a harddrive out of my old computer that has xp on it and it still blue screened as soon as it was about to pop up the login screen. Anyone have any idea? i have tried switching around the ram, a different harddrive, unpluging everything that wast necessary.

My specs are:
EVGA A1 MB
Q6600
4GB Patriot 800
750gb WD77500AAKS
EVGA 8800GT 512 KO
PSU PCPOWER&COOL 750w
Arctic P4 cooler

Please help, i have run out of ideas.
Old November 10, 2007, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbunten View Post
So i was on here about a week ago looking at your review and stuff for a building a new system. I finally got all the parts in and was all happy, but now it just blue screens. I tried installing vista 64 for the first time and it all worked fine till after the first restart when it tries to actually go into windows. No matter how many times i have tried formating and starting over it blue screens as soon as it tries to get in windows after the first restart during installation. I even pulled a harddrive out of my old computer that has xp on it and it still blue screened as soon as it was about to pop up the login screen. Anyone have any idea? i have tried switching around the ram, a different harddrive, unpluging everything that wast necessary.

My specs are:
EVGA A1 MB
Q6600
4GB Patriot 800
750gb WD77500AAKS
EVGA 8800GT 512 KO
PSU PCPOWER&COOL 750w
Arctic P4 cooler

what I would do if shut everything off unplug the psu then pull it all apart and put it back together oh but first check the bios ( I am totally guessing though)
Edit

how many beeps does your computer make when this happens? that usually will tell you the problem
Old November 10, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbunten View Post

My specs are:
EVGA A1 MB
Q6600
4GB Patriot 800
750gb WD77500AAKS
EVGA 8800GT 512 KO
PSU PCPOWER&COOL 750w
Arctic P4 cooler

Stick 2gb in ; go get the 64bit vista 4gb hotfix ; install hotfix ; reboot and install extra 2gb of memory.

Welcome to the wonderful ****** up botch of Vista 64bit
Old November 10, 2007, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

Yea just try 2x1 gb of ram, in slots 1/3

if that still doesnt work (it should) just go with 1gb to start
OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
XFX / EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLI
Cooler Master Cosmos
PC POWER & COOLING 750watt
Seagate 1TB
Seagate 500gb
Seagate 250gb
DVD Rom/Burner

LG 22" Wide
G5/G15/Z-5500 Logitech
Old November 10, 2007, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

In addition to what these guy mentioned which is correct 1GB stick or 2GB sticks at a time.

Also Patriot memory needs more voltage to run. Your board will default to either 1.8 - 1.9 volts Patriot usually needs 2.1 - 2.2 volts so check your RAM voltage in the BIOS.

What BIOS are you running? What version? Have you checked with the BIO's/Mobo website to see if there isn't a conflict with the RAM your running and the version of said Mobo and/or BIOS?

May need updating...

Also be sure that your mobo can take your RAM and other components, make sure their are no issues with compatibility. If you have an ASUS board they are notoriously fussy and have a short QVL so check it out too...

Hrm...also make sure your RAM is seated properly as some Mobo's you have to use a good amount of force to make them seat properly.

Qwerty.

EDIT - Welcome to Hardware Canucks btw :)

Last edited by qwerty; November 10, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old November 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The 680i can be "difficult" at times. Your issue is double and both were mentionned: boot with 1 ram stick (if its a 2Gb), or 2 sticks (if they are 1Gb), raise the ram voltage to 1.9 (or 2.0 - I don't know the Patriote sticks), then raise the cpu volts to 1.25V. This will help stabilise the board. Then install Vista, install the 4Gb hotfix and you're good to go.

I know, the last 3 rigs I've built all had the 680i and all had the same issue.

John
Old November 22, 2007, 06:45 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Guys, it's not the ram config, the guy's getting the same thing when he boots into windows XP. RAM voltage, quite possibly, One thing you may want to try is to see if you can get into windows XP in safe mode. If you can, disable restart on Stop errors, this will allow you to actually see the error message, you can then google it, or put it in here, and find out exactly what is causing the comp to BSOD.
Also, Double check the cables to your graphics card. I have a 7800gtx, and I didn't plug the stupid molex in all the way, and it restarted quite constantly on me. I double checked it, and it started working normally.
Try with different sticks of ram (use one at a time, and check all 4 of them to see if you can load windows, one of the sticks may be bad...)
Finally, for today, try turning the comp on a couple times (let it reboot at windows 3-4 times) then go into your bios, and check the CPU temps, wild guess, but possibly restarting due to cpu temp.
Old November 22, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's why i find a live Linux CD(Knoppix is best, compatability-wise) so useful. It can quickly rule out, or confirm a software problem. Even with Linux on a HD, the live CD will still basically bypass your HDD's.