Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 01:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Seeing as it's the same system, we'll talk about it here. Did you check the socket to see if you got any thermal paste in it?
Old May 11, 2010, 03:44 PM
Rookie

Yup. All clean. Thank goodness for RadioShack.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Well, I tried the different memory configurations: 1 strip and 2 in different sockets. I also put the graphics card in the blue slot, connected a hard drive, and cleared the CMOS. No luck.

Unfortunately, building machines isn't my trade so I don't have any spare parts I can try. So, unless there are any other suggestions, I'm going to RMA the mobo and case.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Couple quick questions. "Flipped the switch?" That's the switch on the psu?
How are you trying to start the system? Jumping the pins on the front panel header?
Does the power supply fan spin?

The green light on the motherboard is generally for +5VSB, just means that standby power is on and working.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:35 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Is the mobo outputting any beep codes? If you can confirm that the psu works (try it in a different system), everything has been installed correctly and the mobo still doesn't beep, then the mobo's dead. In this case, you may want to try the mobo with just the cpu (no video card or ram) just to make sure.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:16 PM
Banned
F@H

check the pins on the mobo, and the under whatever you call them pin kissers for cpu.

without any spare parts, it can be anything, really. last id doubt would be the cpu, but even that has one chance in so may of coming out dead
so rmaing mobo may not solve it. go to a mom and pops and beg for 10 mins of their time :)
or find a good samarithan in your area who also is on here.quite the good folks we have in here, generally :)
Old May 12, 2010, 07:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimx133 View Post
Couple quick questions. "Flipped the switch?" That's the switch on the psu?
How are you trying to start the system? Jumping the pins on the front panel header?
Does the power supply fan spin?

The green light on the motherboard is generally for +5VSB, just means that standby power is on and working.
I swtiched the power button on the PSU. No fan on either the PSU or CPU.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
Is the mobo outputting any beep codes? If you can confirm that the psu works (try it in a different system), everything has been installed correctly and the mobo still doesn't beep, then the mobo's dead. In this case, you may want to try the mobo with just the cpu (no video card or ram) just to make sure.

I tried just the boad and CPU. No beeps from the mobo, just the green LED.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
check the pins on the mobo, and the under whatever you call them pin kissers for cpu.

without any spare parts, it can be anything, really. last id doubt would be the cpu, but even that has one chance in so may of coming out dead
so rmaing mobo may not solve it. go to a mom and pops and beg for 10 mins of their time :)
or find a good samarithan in your area who also is on here.quite the good folks we have in here, generally :)
Good idea. I'll start with getting a cheap PSU.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have the case power switch plugged into the mobo? Flipping the switch on the psu runs power to the board, but doesn't start the boot process. That comes from the front switch.