Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2010, 10:13 AM
MVP

Default System won't even boot to bios

Hi guys I'm having some trouble with my system ...again. Can't catch a break with this build! It was fine yesterday and then I got some marks at the top of the screen that looked like bad tracking on a VHS and then the system went black and shut off. After that I got a BSOD and it froze before telling me what the problem was. After that I got it to the desktop for about 15 minutes and now it won't boot up.
I hit the power button and all my LED's come on, fans run, nothing comes up on the screen. Then it restarts on it's own and nothing happens. Just LED's and fans.
I've switched out the RAM and tried different slots that didn't seem to help, I've also disconnected the video card. I'm sort of leaning towards maybe something wrong with the power supply? Since it's restarting a couple of seconds after initial boot...or the video card. But yeah nothing comes up on screen no logo flash, no BIOS nothing then it restarts. Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? I'm going to have to try changing all the cables/ports on the power supply today to see if that's a problem.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:15 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Try unplugging your computer and then removing the battery from the motherboard for 10 seconds or so. This will reset the bios to stock, and has saved my bacon many times when I got to greedy in my OC's. Stick the battery back in and then try to boot.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

Try a different videocard if you have one...
Old May 8, 2010, 12:53 PM
MVP

Thanks for the replies. I suppose more relevant information could be that I don't have it overclocked at all, BIOS is stock except for turning off express gate and possibly having the CDROM as the default boot drive.
I tried the battery idea that didn't work. Cleaned out the video card while I had it out.
If it comes down to a hardware issue that's going to suck severely, the only things I know of off hand (have to double check) that are under warranty are the board and the PSU...I've already gone through a few new sticks of RAM, new motherboard, and have probably sunk about $500 on top of the $2500 initial price tag on it just trying to get it to work properly, so far unsuccessful. If it's a matter of spending more money on it that's not going to happen I'll sell the remaining good parts and be done with it for good.

I appreciate the ideas, unfortunately I don't have any other parts to try on the system. This is the first "modern" build with a PCI 2 card and a SATA drive. All the other systems in the house are 6 years or older.
I'm going to disconnect the CDROM and see if it will boot to the hard drive. Doubtful but worth a try. Update: didn't work.

Last edited by Brian; May 8, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Before you think its the PSU or GPU, its best you identify the post beep code first. Get a PC 3 pin speaker.
Old May 8, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 for the PC speaker but for me it's looking like a video card. Dual GPU card are not known for their long last. Try a new one that you can get from a friend and see what it give;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 8, 2010, 06:14 PM
MVP

Do you guys know of a quick way to aquire one of these speakers? I've seen what they are but don't have one. I will call my uncle tomorrow and see if his old system (50/50 chance) has a PCI-e 2.0 board in it and see if I can test the card in that if it is.
The frustrating thing that would make all this easy and quick to figure out is that the board doesn't have any onboard video or graphics, all the old systems in my house do so it's aggrivating. It would make for a quick easy test that's for sure.
Old May 8, 2010, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your best chance to get one of these speaker is to go to your local shop and ask for one. They probably have ton's of these little monster in the tech room. If they don't give it they are gonna sell it for like 1 or 2 box XD. There was one in the original box of your mobo you probably just don't see it and trash it. They are pretty helpfull. Keep us up to date my friend!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 8, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I bet one of your older computer have one of those, my 8 year old future crap PC had one in it.
Old May 8, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

i say your GPU is not working have and old video card around to test

note if has onboard video there will be a vga 15D connector on rear panel