Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2010, 07:58 PM
MVP

Ok hunting in old cases I was able to find a speaker, but I don't know where to plug it in haha. Does it go on any 3 pin fan port on the board or somewhere specific?
Old May 8, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://www.frageek.com/files/images/...3%20Deluxe.jpg

At the bottom right there is a white thing where you connect power button, reset switch and led. There is 4 pin just over the reset and power plug. These are for the speaker which is supose to be 4 pin like that.

http://www.clearpc.ca/catalog/images/speaker.JPG

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 8, 2010, 09:11 PM
MVP

Ok I just tried booting it up with the speaker, and heard nothing. I tried another speaker from another case and heard nothing again. I put my headset on just in case to see if I could hear Windows startup if it was booting but nothing. So no beeps means no video right? Meaning the video card is pooched.

To add, I kept a stick of memory in there as to not hear the no RAM beeps. Should I take it out to see if the speakers are working properly I wonder. Still no beeps. I just hope if I get a video card that it's the card and not the motherboard or else hey I have an extra card and am out some more money...

Last edited by Brian; May 8, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Computer Post / Beep codes
This link can be helpfull...no beep can mean loose card or such thing. But it can also be a dead mobo or dead RAM ( but most of the time it will beep when ram is dead ) Keep try the video card because it's the most plausible issue.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 9, 2010, 04:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

check Cmos jumper positon, some MB's don't like clear CMOS jump opened on the norm. if bios spkr not making any noise while known is good, then i say bios has failed
Old May 9, 2010, 02:18 PM
MVP

I should also mention that the power and reset buttons on the board itself do light up as soon as power gets to the board. Not sure if that helps in finding out if the board is good or not but thought it would be worth mentioning. Also, the normal blink of the red lights on the card at initial power up happens as well. When the computer is on there aren't any red lights on the card telling me it's not working properly.
Just tried again with both speakers and still no beeps with no memory in the system and the CMOS in the default 1, 2 pin position.

I appreciate the help you guys are giving and the patience. I'm trying, never encountered this before so I'm a rookie at diagnosing this sort of thing.
Old May 9, 2010, 02:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Edit: Post in wrong thread!!
Old May 9, 2010, 03:24 PM
MVP

heres a similiar thread, see if you can try any of the other idea's suggested.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...-q9450-nothing

If you removed the ram and still hear no beep errors, I think either the speaker isn't hooked up correctly or the mobo might be croaked. I would try assembling everything outside of your case on a box or something similiar.

I had a similiar problem with my old gigabyte when I accidentally shorted it out (as far as I know), it would boot up lights come on but nothing more. Was really leaning towards rma'ing the vid card before hand.

One would think if its the video card at fault you would still hear the hdd's spooling up and perhaps the audio from windows loading.

Perhaps you could take your vid card into a local shop and ask them to see if it outputs video. That would almost certainly narrow it down to the motherboard IMO.