Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2010, 06:24 AM
Allstar

Question SSD How to merge unallocated partition to primary partition in Windows 7

Good Morning HC!

I decided to delete my SSD Raid-0 configuration and opted to run only one of them as my primary, therefore facilitating the use of TRIM and Intel SSD toolbox. Since loading Windows 7 I noticed unallocated space on my primary drive (99mb). There is no merging option. I've allocated the drive since then. Resizing does not merge the partition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; July 8, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's windows 7 recovery space you can't get rid of it windows 7 will not boot to my knowledge
Old May 7, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah to the best of knowledge if you screw around with that with higher versions of Win 7 it will not like it and wont boot...But it can technically be removed if you dont have the bitlocker accessory available to you (MS frowns upon it and says to leave it)...BUT I never tried it as its only 100mb.

Here is MS's take on it and why you should not mess with it (debbie's answer):

Can I delete the system reserved partition from 100MB

If you want to mess around with it:

Hack to Remove 100 MB System Reserved Partition When Installing Windows 7 My Digital Life

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 7, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

i just ordered another intel 80gb x25 yesterday to raid 0 with because i thought trim was now supported for raid? if not.. f*ck! lol.

Old May 7, 2010, 12:30 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Start Win7 install.
Create new partition -> Windows will say its going to make the 100mb (but not in those words, lol)
Now you have 2 partitions. DELETE the second one.
EXPAND the 100Mb to take the full space of the drive.
Done.
Underpants
Profit.
Old May 7, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are yo sure that windows can still work fine with the recovery partition in the same as boot? never tried it before always figured it wouldn't work cause,well not sure why i thought that.
and no BT it's not supported they just have it setup now that the trim command will be passed on to a ssd boot well working with a storage raid setup. from my understanding anyone else have a take on it.
Old May 7, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup, sorry BT! but its going to be awhile before consumer level RAID supports TRIM. Will be interesting to see if ICH 11 does. But in the mean time....you can always use it as another app drive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 7, 2010, 04:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

will no trim be an issue if i format my PC every 3-6 months? that should keep it clean and fast?

Old May 7, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have always run raided ssd and i pull them apart every few months and format then trim, to get them back to full speed and start over works pretty good so far
Old May 7, 2010, 04:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

cool, i'll go that route aswell, sorry for the thread jack Mark. :P