Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As long as you format THEN trim (formatting does jack shite all good, unless it is a secure erase...and even then meh). You will be OK. Take note of when you notice / see a slow down....and subtract 1 wk or 2 from that amount of time from the last time you broke em and cleaned em up. That way you wont notice any slow downs and will have a good "rule of thumb" to go by for your own personal system. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 7, 2010, 05:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

so after i notice some slow down format, load windows 7 on just 1 (not in raid), run ssd toolbox optimizer for both, then load windows again in raid0?
sounds like alot of work but since windows 7 loads in 20min. or less.. no biggy. lol

Old May 7, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

can you not run toolbox cleaner from another computer then just plug in the intel ssd i have not messed with any 80gb intel yet.
1. I delete raid so ssd's show up alone
2. format so the mbr reads formatted
3. run wiper so drive is back to new.
the longest i have gone was 4 months and i still could notice it at all outside of benchmark in benchmarks it lost a total of 40 or 50 mb read not much
Old May 7, 2010, 06:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
can you not run toolbox cleaner from another computer then just plug in the intel ssd i have not messed with any 80gb intel yet.
1. I delete raid so ssd's show up alone
2. format so the mbr reads formatted
3. run wiper so drive is back to new.
the longest i have gone was 4 months and i still could notice it at all outside of benchmark in benchmarks it lost a total of 40 or 50 mb read not much
ya, i guess i could just put them in another pc, whats "wiper"? is that the same as the optimizer in ssd tools?

Old May 7, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i think so i never run it or have even tried to see if it works for the few 40v gb i have bought for clients. wiper just tells the controller chip what cells are clean and what are dirty.
Old May 10, 2010, 06:25 AM
Allstar

100mb seems rather excessive and pretty unnecessary but I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks

CHEERS
Old May 10, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
100mb seems rather excessive and pretty unnecessary but I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks
I agree its stupid and unnecessary...but it is MS we are talking about....and if we didnt have something to hate in their latest and greatest, Im sure they would feel like they didnt do their jobs properly! :)~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
ya, i guess i could just put them in another pc, whats "wiper"? is that the same as the optimizer in ssd tools?
IF you have another system, that is much easier. As you just need to power down the system. Yank one, install in the other, run SSD Optimizer (Indilinx calls their version wiper.exe) and rinse and repeat. No need to format or break the array. Prolly will make it easy enough so that you do it more often :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IF you have another system, that is much easier. As you just need to power down the system. Yank one, install in the other, run SSD Optimizer (Indilinx calls their version wiper.exe) and rinse and repeat. No need to format or break the array. Prolly will make it easy enough so that you do it more often :)
setting up raid0 right now on my P55 system.
i have gotten ssd tools to work on my other PC with the 780i mobo (the one i had TRIM issues with before due to no ahci mode) so i'll be able to clean them on it. thanks for the advice. :)

Old May 10, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wicked benchmarks he he ia m trying not to buy any more ssd'd till all the new ones come out.
Old May 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
i just tried putting them into my other system, i thought i'd give it a try right now to make sure it works before i get this thing to loaded with crap, lol. anyway, its not cooperating at all... :( not sure whats up, as soon as i put them in it detects and installs them then says they need to be formatted bla bla bla. then i get whats shown in the screenshot.
Attached Images