Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2010, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up Games Crashing/ Graphic Corruption

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, was just searching the internet for some answers, and this seemed like a good place to start.

Anyways.. Quick background story. I purchased my computer new about a year and a half ago. I don;t have any experience actually assembling the hardware, so I let the techies at the website do it for me. The rough specs include a quad core, 4gb ram (ddr2 i think), GTX 280 (stock), and fans, power supply, etc. Ill grab the exact specs when I get home.

Anyway, a few months ago, my computer crashed out of nowhere ( as soon as I logged in I was met with a pink green and blue pixelated screen that I later found out was graphics corruption. My computer guy told me the config files for vista were corrupted something, so $170, win7, and two months later, I had my baby back.

Unfortunately, now the fan on the side of the computer ( I have one on the side, one in back, and a large on the front) near the gpu stopped functioning, and only spun intermittently with a squeaking noise, and now barely moves at all. I figured that with two other fans I could do without.

I was wrong though. I can play less graphically intensive games like an older splinter cell, but when I load up crysis ( a game my computer was able to spank at max settings not a few months ago), i can get through the start menu, through the first cutscene, and past the first load scree, but as soon as I initiate the actual game, it freezes, and crashes. I put a widget on my desktop to tell me the temp of the gpu, and I get a reading of 73 c after the computer crashes. Just idle it reads ~50c. Now the latest trick the computer decided to pull was the same scary graphic corruption (pink and blue and green pixels) when I tried Left 4 Dead at max settings. A hard reboot fixed it, but Im terrified of running programs until I get the problem sorted out.

I live in a high dust enviroment (arizona) with a few large and hairy dogs that just attract dust, so I'm curious if a dust buildup along with the shifting of the computer when I was transporting it is what nis causing the problems.

Any other ideas? thanks to any who even take the time to read this.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say overheat problems. Clear out the dust and retest your computer.

-Plato
Old May 4, 2010, 12:22 PM
Rookie

K thanks thats what i figured, so I should just open the case and go at it with that canned air stuff or something?
Old May 4, 2010, 03:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

It's a heat problem for sure. If the fans are dead, find a way to make them work. The symptoms are called 'artifacts' (everyone oooooh's and ahhhh's at the shiney colours), gpu is too hot and producing errors=artifacts. Driver finds out that gpu is artifacting, shuts down program=crash. Cool it down=no more errors=no more crash=no more artifacts=new fan.
Old May 4, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The PC crash at log in? Seems like bad drivers or its probably the card crapping out. Is it a BFG? And or PSU crapping out, what PSU are you using? Is it sufficient enough to run a Quad and a GTX 280?

What drivers version are you using? How did you update your drivers? Did you uninstalled them, go to safe mode and run Driver Sweeper? If not please do so.

If you done the above, then I suggest you download GPUZ and log the temp. Start up a game and see if it hits 105C.
Old May 4, 2010, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
It's a heat problem for sure. If the fans are dead, find a way to make them work. The symptoms are called 'artifacts' (everyone oooooh's and ahhhh's at the shiney colours), gpu is too hot and producing errors=artifacts. Driver finds out that gpu is artifacting, shuts down program=crash. Cool it down=no more errors=no more crash=no more artifacts=new fan.

I don't recall ever oooo'ing at artifacting, I'm terrified by it.
Old May 5, 2010, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

First replace broken fan, vacume/canned air to clear out dust,hair. (note with switch off @ PSU but cord still plugged in for ground)

check all electricial connections are tight (molex plugs on PSU if modular) and reseat all cards

as to video artifacting is not a good sign = over cooked GPU

do a complete video driver clean out then install current drivers for was problems a little back on them

reseat video card heatsink with T.I.M on gpu only, check PCB is not warped

your on air cooling ? i suggest going to the water cooling to keep temps in check

Last edited by KaptCrunch; May 5, 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old May 6, 2010, 07:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Same problem

I am having the same problem. But I just built my PC a few months ago.
When I play Battlefield Bad Company 2 online. The PC eventually crashes.
I have a CM 690 II advanced with 8 fans. I even have a fan on the GPU(a bracket that came with the case). I also have a Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 OC edition(not OC). Is there a utility that monitors the heat of my GPU?

Thanks,

Dante1
Old May 7, 2010, 05:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

S0 how'd this turn out. I've had almost the same problem with my GTX280 but have lower temps while playing.
This crap started almost immediately after upgrading nvidia drivers.
Old May 9, 2010, 03:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
S0 how'd this turn out. I've had almost the same problem with my GTX280 but have lower temps while playing.
This crap started almost immediately after upgrading nvidia drivers.
then do a complete video cleaning an get current Nvidia driver for your card / OS