Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Power down the system and change the drive cable and change the port. Preferably to another controller (plug the drive into the white ports). Could be as simple as wonky driver and / or port.

Reboot let it install the drivers and then reboot again when it says they are installed. See if it does the same thing. If it does uninstall all the sata controllers in device mgr and reboot. Let it reinstall it, reboot. See if it does it still. Could be a messed up drivers.

If it still does it. Do a /fixmbr on it. Could be a wonky mbr issue (very doubtful).

If is still does it. Change the 2ndary controller it is attached to from AHCI to IDE. See if it still does it.

If it still does it...get all your data off it and then nuke it and do a HARD format on it. Then do the short and long diagnostics on it via the mfg'er tools. See if the drive is just dyeing. If its good and still doing it after all this.....yank the drive and try it another system. See if it is is doing it on the new system. If it is....its the drive, if not its the other system. At this point you will have atleast an idea where to start!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 2, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Pull power plugs on all other drives and just leave coneted the problem drive and restart see if it is the only drive weather it will be detected?
it's not the windows drive...only a data one but yes it is bios detected.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 2, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Power down the system and change the drive cable and change the port. Preferably to another controller (plug the drive into the white ports). Could be as simple as wonky driver and / or port.

Reboot let it install the drivers and then reboot again when it says they are installed. See if it does the same thing. If it does uninstall all the sata controllers in device mgr and reboot. Let it reinstall it, reboot. See if it does it still. Could be a messed up drivers.

If it still does it. Do a /fixmbr on it. Could be a wonky mbr issue (very doubtful).

If is still does it. Change the 2ndary controller it is attached to from AHCI to IDE. See if it still does it.

If it still does it...get all your data off it and then nuke it and do a HARD format on it. Then do the short and long diagnostics on it via the mfg'er tools. See if the drive is just dyeing. If its good and still doing it after all this.....yank the drive and try it another system. See if it is is doing it on the new system. If it is....its the drive, if not its the other system. At this point you will have atleast an idea where to start!
Thx for tip AKG I will try them tomorrow when I will be back from school. I will give some news;)

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 2, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and that's why he's the in house storage man. ya that is strange and the only time i have had that happen was on a 750.11 seagate that died soon after my fingers are crossed for ya. ( my finger is crossed what a misspell ha )
Old May 2, 2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
and that's why he's the in house storage man. ya that is strange and the only time i have had that happen was on a 750.11 seagate that died soon after my fingers are crossed for ya. ( my finger is crossed what a misspell ha )
Thats kinda the feeling Im getting too gingerbee. Almost as if the system is initializing it... it failing soon there after and then being reinitialized (like you had hot swapped it in and then out and then in again). Might be something as simple as gremlins in the system drivers....but it dont look good.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 2, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think the disk is gonna fail on me. Actually it's more looking like a SATA driver failure. like the microsoft one overpass my GA driver. But well...if the disk decide to die like a 7200.11 I know just the right thing to do...Buy a cheap used one swap the PCB and then get all my data back. no way I will lose 1TB of movie and all my simpsons!

Martin_metal_88

Old May 2, 2010, 08:57 PM

Good luck mm88, I truly hope it is something as simple as that (and why i suggest TS'ing the drivers first). And if it is worse.....sounds like you got a good backup plan. :)

Old May 3, 2010, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Good luck mm88, I truly hope it is something as simple as that (and why i suggest TS'ing the drivers first). And if it is worse.....sounds like you got a good backup plan. :)
So here the update. After some troubleshooting instead of going at school this morning ( psycho is to borring for me ) I finally find that the MS generic driver was overpassing my GA SATA driver. After some playing with driver priority and MS driver I finally get it to work like it should. So AkG I am a lucky guy here everything still work like a charm Only need to complete my windows install and set back all my folding for che chimp folding challenge!
Thx you all guys !!

Martin_metal_88

Old May 3, 2010, 10:52 AM

Awesome! Glad to hear its working.
Always nice (or at least easy to fix) when it is something simple like driver issues. :)

Old May 3, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

glad it worked out for ya thought it was a driver. thanks for the update