Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2010, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows Hangs on boot up.

I turned off my computer monday night, turned it on tuesday morning and i seem to just get the Windows start up screen hanging there. The computer does a normal start up, you even see the Windows start up splash moving but after a little bit it just kinda stays there and never boots into windows desktop itself. I've tried to do a windows bootup repair though windows finds nothing wrong with it and doesn't do anything. It will boot into Backtrack this so i'm suspecting its no the RAM, and i've had no issues (including a clean bill of health from seagate tools on the hard drive 1-2 months ago when someone i know suspected there was something wrong with the hard drive).

My question is this, what should i do (with the except to nuke and pave) to try to boot into windows or get windows to repair the install (and is it the hard drive going still?)?
Old April 28, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried the minimal hardware startup routine yet??

10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide
Old April 28, 2010, 08:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes though its not that relevant to me as i do post, i can get into and change my bios, i can run stuff from my dvd rom (windows 7 disc and a linux distro). I just cannot fully boot into Windows
Old April 28, 2010, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have had that problem before and it was related to one bad stick of ram.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you can get to the repair screens on your windows boot disk, see if you can run a system restore.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Should have mentioned i tried that as well already with no change.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:26 AM
HaDeS

Well if you haven't tried it already I'd suggest unplugging your other HDDS (if you have more than one) Failing hdds are normally the culprit to ultra slow windows loads or hanging.
  1. boot only with the windows drive.
  2. try a different sata port
  3. try a different sata cable
Then the the ram thing... finally just re-install the OS. You should be able to get data off the drive prior to formatting.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats the thing, i dont think its a failing hdd as all three in the system passed with flying colours when i tests them about a month ago with seagate tools. I may try a different sata port/cable
Old April 28, 2010, 08:46 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried running the memory test off the Windows install DVD? Have you tried setting your CPU back to stock speeds?
Old April 28, 2010, 08:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't tried either, though i dont see how a cpu oc should effect windows from booting if a linux distro will (and those are loaded completely into ram).