Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2010, 07:06 PM
Rookie

Default File Transfering

hey, as some of you may know, I built a new computer.
Now, this question remains:
How do I transfer my files (roughly 50-70 gigs) worth of files to my new computer?
Budget=cheapest way

Notes:
Wireless strength really low (barely have internet at times) so the transfer that way is not an option.
Old April 23, 2010, 07:08 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anant View Post
hey, as some of you may know, I built a new computer.
Now, this question remains:
How do I transfer my files (roughly 50-70 gigs) worth of files to my new computer?
Budget=cheapest way

Notes:
Wireless strength really low (barely have internet at times) so the transfer that way is not an option.
HOOK UP old drive to new puter and go for it.
Old April 24, 2010, 12:47 AM
Rookie

I have to agree, connecting the drive to your new machine is both A) fastest and B) most cost effective.
Old April 26, 2010, 03:30 PM
Rookie

My old drive may have a hidden virus, its very old and always has errors. Should i risk it?
AV does not find any virus, but complications indeed
Old April 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well honestly; copying the files by any means is just as risky as hooking it up to your computer; You access that data on that disk by any means and you're risking it.

Hook it up; and scan the crap out of it with a couple good anti virus etc; and hope for the best!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 26, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could always boot into something like a Bart PE or mini Windows and do the copying and scanning there. That will ensure your OS is isolated from anything you happen to encounter.

Oh and for copying large amounts like that use something like FastCopy. It will go much quicker than just using windows explorer to copy it, and it won't stop if it encounters an error or something like that.

Old April 27, 2010, 06:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

As long as you're not copying executable files from your old hard drive, you could have a million viruses on it and it wouldn't affect your new build whatsoever. Computer viruses don't work like human ones, they aren't transmitted by proximity, you actually have to run them for them to do anything.

Just stay away from Program Files and the Windows directories and you should be golden. As long as you keep to data files (music, movies, pictures, etc) you're fine. The one exception might be some macro viruses that could spread through Microsoft Office documents, but those are mostly extinct now due to better security in the later versions of office. If you're worried make sure you scan Word and Excel files before you open them.

The irony here is that copying the files through other means would copy the viruses just as well as putting in your old HD.

Old May 3, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

download and install Avira antivirus. it will catch alot of the baddies you might have in there. Also you dont have to transfer the entire disk, just copy from (drive letter):/users/(your user name)/ |(windows vista/7) and copy whats in the "downloads, music, pictures, favorites" file to the same files in the user name file of the new computer. Also pick and choose specific files you want from the /documents and /desktop files.

If you have win xp on the old disk then you'll go to (drive letter)/documents and settings/(user name) / | to find these files and transfer them to the username file of the new OS.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old May 3, 2010, 01:32 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anant View Post
My old drive may have a hidden virus, its very old and always has errors. Should i risk it?
AV does not find any virus, but complications indeed
Malware are often missed by AV because the OS was compromised, e.g., by rootkits. Chance of detection of malware in the hard drive will be much better if the AV is installed and run from a known clean system.

However, depending on how you hook up the drive you may want to disable Autorun/Autoplay and use a restricted account.

You also need to configure the AV to use the highest detection level (most AVs default to lesser levels in order to minimize impact on system) and do an "on-damand" scan.

Lastly, AVs vary in their ability to look into "compound files", e.g., propriety email database and other compressed archives, where malware maybe hidden and there are password protected installation files (most often seen in Codecs) that will bypass all AVs.

My preferred AV in such scenarios is Kaspersky. It can "read" a large number of proprietary file formats and log files that are password protected or otherwise cannot be scanned. Trial version of Kaspersky AV 2010 is available and you can use that during the transfer.

For the long term, note that Norton AV 2010 is on sale atm at Future shop, $25 for the 3 license version.
Old May 3, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
For the long term, note that Norton AV 2010 is on sale atm at Future shop, $25 for the 3 license version.

for the record DO NOT EVER EVER EVER BUY NORTON PRODUCTS. Just ask anyone here.

Norton = The Antichrist.

Norton = -25% system resorces off the hop and 365 days of annoying pop ups.

Norton has a poorer detection rate than Avira antivirus which is free for home use.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0